How to locate a plumber experienced with 1950's plumbing?

janeway452July 12, 2014

I've actually located a source for replacement faucets for my 1950's Shelf Back sink. I'm having difficulty removing the faucet caps despite how easy the Bathroom Machineries video for replacing the faucets for this sink. Yes, they actually have a video! I think my best bet is to try to find an old plumber who is experienced in mid-century American Standard plumbing or one who is wise to older plumbing. Has anyone gone this route and how did you find one? Was it a good idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerzeegirl

Plumbers working in the 1950s would be in their 70s or eighties by now and probably retired. I think one would be hard to find.

I think any competent contemporary plumber would be able to handle this job. Especially if you live in a city, most plumbers are used to working on old and newer plumbing.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 3:14PM
duluthinbloomz4

I'm with jerzeegirl on this one. In this city, a major portion of the housing stock is infinitely older than the 1950's with much original plumbing to boot. My house is mid 30's and a good local plumber had zero problems with the issue(s) I had a couple of months ago.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 3:28PM
janeway452

Thanks! You are right jerzeegirl and duluth. Can you imagine some really old geezer still working? Monday I'll just get on the phone and mention that this is old original plumbing and listen for the right response. I'm encouraged.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 4:00PM
jrueter

Maybe you can contact the makers of the video and ask if they happen to know anyone in your area.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 6:01PM
hunzi

We just popped the caps off a 1936 Shelfback - They screw off. There's not much of a lip on them but you can do it with a pair of pliers. Hit them with some CLR first in case there is lime scale.

Good luck!

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:12PM
janeway452

I've tried CLR, straight white vinegar and WD 40. I've tried adjustable wrench, pliers and channel locks. I don't have a strap wrench, but I suspect it won't work either. Maybe I just don't have the right tool. They just won't budge. Hunzi, as you know they are very thin and there's not much to grab onto. The photo shows how thin (and why the faucets need to be replaced!). They only thing I haven't tried is heat. I'm so happy you were able to get yours off. After that initial hurtle how did they rest of the job go? How do the new faucets look?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Master Bathroom with Laundry
Where would you start with planning the perfect master...
queenofmycastle0221
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Wall Mural (Photo Wallpaper, Photo Tile or Hire Artist?)
We have one wall in bath that's a hand-painted mural....
stevemac00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™