tub cutout

earlyJuly 21, 2013

Has anyone had their tub cutout on the side so that you can step into the tub instead of over the side?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

"Cut out" a tub's side???? Not if you want the tub to hold water!

If you are talking about one of the specialty expensive walk in tubs, they have their own set of problems. And the gasket that keeps them from leaking is on the list. As is the fact that you have to sit there in the tub until all of the water drains out so you can open the door and get out. These problems are solvable with some key add ons and regular maintenance, but the up front cost is still prohibitive for many.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 11:57AM
early

Yes your correct, the tub becomes a shower only. It seems to be a alot less expensive than a complete tub to shower redo.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 12:24PM
mongoct

I've never installed one, but for the other readers, I'm pretty sure this is what the OP is referring too:

There are several different versions. Some like this, some with a door. I'd never recommend a door version though, as you're depending on a couple of tubes of caulk to hold back the flood waters. And yes, when properly installed, a couple of tubes of caulk will indeed hold back the flood waters. Until they don't and you get a flood. Which you will.

If this was for an elderly person, I'd keep the tub intact and instead just use a medical transfer seat to get in and out of the tub.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™