Tiling on Concrete Slab & Granite Saddle Installation in Shower

NJHMJuly 26, 2012

Hi, I need some help on a couple of questions that came up during our renovation.

- Tile on concrete slab: We would like to put tile in our basement. The concrete floor is smooth finished (our original intention was to just leave a concrete floor and stain it) and has control/isolation joints every 8 feet. A couple of tile guys have expressed that this might be a problem because tile will crack at the control joints and that they will have to tile within those 8-foot square boxes which I think will look ugly. Will Ditra (or any other brand uncoupling membrane) solve this problem?

- Bathrooms: Which is installed first in a shower, the tile or the granite saddles on the shower curb? Who installs the saddles - granite installer or tiler? Please let me know the correct sequence for this is.

Thank you.

NJHM

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TileTech

Yu need to "honor" those control joints. With Ditra, the material should "break" in those areas, as should your tile. The grout joints above them should be filled with a colour-co-ordinated, sanded caulk. The perimeter, also, should have a gap, filled with the same caulk.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 8:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NJHM

TileTech - Thank you. Do you have any suggestions regarding the shower saddle issue?

NJHM

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
American Standard Town Square Toilet
Does anyone here have the American Standard Town Square...
mrsdindinbaby
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Bathtub width - Kohler Archer?
I am looking for a bathtub that has a deeper soak (my...
lineterry
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™