white vinyl or natural wood veneer interiors on white cabinets?

graceshanMay 4, 2012

Our cabinet maker is running a promo whereby we can get natural wood veneer for the same price as white vinyl for our cabinet interiors (they are painted white maple shaker cabinets).

I had originally picked white vinyl because I just thought it would look better. Now that I hear the veneer costs more I'm doubting myself. Any thoughts as to which is better?

Thanks!

Shannon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nini804

I think the natural wood would look better...but maybe that is because that is what is inside my cabs! Not sure which would function better.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 11:16PM
joyce_6333

I've always had stained cabinets, but I've had both white vinyl and wood interiors. Much prefer the wood. The vinyl I had tended to chip, and the vinyl coating would pull away on the edges. I'm sure what I had was probably low end (25 years ago), so that may have been the problem.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 11:34AM
GreenDesigns

Neither. Vinyl is a cheap crappy way to finish a cabinet interior. Wood can be problematic with water resistance and roughness. The ideal material for a cabinet interior is high pressure melamine, whether white to match the exterior, or a natural maple as is done on most cabinetry. It's super easy to maintain with just a wipe. It's water resistant, and it's durable. And it's not a high cost either.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Should I add a window in the dining room?
We are going to have a long narrow dining room, husband...
Bridget Howe
Inexpensive "build on your lot" builders?
I've been researching local builders online and came...
olivesmom
House complete... Moving Friday... Photo tour
Hi all! I thought I would post some pics while the...
Momto3kiddos
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
Would you trust a builder to create a blueprint from your own sketch?
We have heard of people building custom without using...
liv2tell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™