GE Monogram 48 Propane Range

35ftcaboJune 4, 2012

I have a week-old new GE dual fuel Range (ZDP486NDPSS). I have had only electric ceramic top ranges before this. My issue is with boiling water. It takes 15 minutes for 3 quarts of water to boil, but the main problem is that it never comes to a strong boil. It's a very gentle boil. The paperwork says it's 15,000btu per burner for propane. The repairman came Friday, twirled some knobs, called his tech center, and then informed me that I would lose 6,000 btu by the propane conversion. I said that I did NOT convert, I bought the propane model, and that nowhere in the literature does it say I lose that much power.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TonySak

Usually when you convert from LP to NG you loose BTUs because NG isn't as "potent" as LP. We were on propane for 6 months with all new equipment before i could bring in NG.

I have a 20kw Generator with LP, if i switch to NG (which I did) its only 18kw. bit its advertised like that.

I would give GE a call. their field conversion kit must not be the exact same NG equipment as the range from the factory. manybe the manifold is different and a field manifold swap is too hard to do in the field. The regulator is any are usually the same for both gases (just needs to be adjusted) other then the reg. a conversion is usually just a orifice swap.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 4:03PM
TonySak

The spec sheet "Power Rating" is saying 15k for LP and 18k for NG which is odd, so go figure. I would imagine the repair guys gave you some mis information.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 4:08PM
weissman

RonySak, I think you have it backwards - you generally lose BTUs when you go from NG to LP - the spec sheet is correct.

In any case, gas cooktops do take a while to boil water - they're not nearly as fast as electric. But, you should be able to get a full boil - perhaps it's the pot you're using.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Shark Hard Surface Steam CleanerSE3306C steam not coming out of nozzle
Hi, Our Shark Hard Surface Steam Cleaner is heating...
danadevy
self cleaning oven racks
Almost all oven manufacturers require removing oven...
dickross
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™