What is your largest induction burner, and what do you put on it?

burntfingersJune 17, 2012

Hello all,

I've pretty much decided on the Bosch 800 induction cooktop, which has an 11" burner (800 rather than 500 only because I like the controls in the metal strip). Last night I realized that the only pan I have now that actually has an 11" botttom surface isn't ferrous, so I'd need to replace it. And I don't know that I've ever seen a non-aluminum pan that big.

So - how big is your biggest burner, and what size pan do you use with it? How often do you use that burner? And... I know it will be less efficient, but can I still use that burner with a smaller pan?

Thank you, all those who have come before me....and know so much more!

Burntfingers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wallycat

I have the Bosch 500 series, 30" and I have the Le Creuset braiser pan that easily fits on that.
I also have a 6-1/2 quart oval le creuset that covers a great deal of the surface.
I have a 19" cast iron griddle pan (Lodge) that works beautifully there.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 5:38PM
jadeite

We have a 13" element on our Thermador cooktop. A 12" skillet works well with it - I've seared scallops this way and the cooktop did a great job. I also have big roasters/casseroles which will fit, but haven't tried these yet. I will when it's cooler.

I'm still learning my way around the cooktop, but so far I see plenty of ways to use the different elements with their variable sizes and power.

Cheryl

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:09PM
ginny20

My largest burner is 11", too. I have 6qt, 8qt and 12qt pots, 12" skillet, 12" straight-sided skillet, all of which go on there. They're Tramontina tri-ply clad, except the 8qt, which is Wolfgang Puck from TJ Maxx. I also have a big Oneida non-stick skillet that fits on there. I use any pot with a bottom diameter of 9" or more on that burner. I use that burner on most days. When we make Sunday "family breakfast" with hash browns, eggs and a big ham slice in three separate skillets, I wish I had two burners that size. And there are only 3 of us in our house.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:16PM
burntfingers

Thank you, all! Feeling much better now...

Burntfingers

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 1:48PM
lightlystarched

I have the 30" GE Profile. Biggest burner looks to be 11.5 inches. I use a big oval Le Cruset, a 15" cast iron pan, and a very large steel comal on it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 4:13PM
ginny20

If you need new induction-compatible pans,definitely check out Marshall's and TJMaxx. They get in different European brands at a big discount, and most of them work on induction. They usually have a lot of affordable pans, including nonstick pans.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:00PM
burntfingers

Again, thank you, GWers! And Ginny, thanks for the tip - I love "browsing" in Marshalls anyway and this gives me a legitimate excuse! Will have to look for a TJMaxx somewhere as well...

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
Help Me Choose A Wall Oven
I have a Gaggenau 24" inch convection oven over...
heron3
Gaggenau or Miele combi steam oven?
We are renovating our kitchen and are planning on a...
Treblemaker
Need Advice on Best Gas Range/Cooktop for Short Person
I will be getting either a new gas cooktop or a dual-fuel...
yaupon
Parts question: Fridgidaire Gas Stove Igniter
The oven igniter on our gas stove quit working. I went...
Pooh Bear
Increased price for high end appliances
Hi All, Sorry for the long post - I'm getting incredibly...
loveumms
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™