Cultured marble: possible to buff out scratches?

tomatofreakJuly 20, 2014

I bought a used, but very nice, vanity with a cultured marble top. There appears to be one section with surface scratches. Is it possible to buff those out? Any other means of shining it up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

For real scratches (gouges) you will need a selection of wet/dry sandpapers of various grits, up to 2000. The coarseness you will need to start with varies based on how grave the scratches are. Start with a fine grit like 400, if that oes not get the scratch out, you will need to use more elbow grease or a coarser paper, but you have to then work up to 2000 and not skip any grits in between. 400-600-800-1000-1500-2000. There are finer papers than that, all the way up to 15,000 and beyond that is the polishing compounds.
You can buff it out with auto polishing compound or the kits made for rejuvenating plastic or fiberglass gel coat. Cultured marble is basically a polyester resin with stone dust mixed in.
Casey

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 10:27AM
Trebruchet

I get this call all the time. No, it's not really possible to buff scratches out of cultured marble. If it were, I'd be rich.

The problem is if you abrade through the gel coat, you're screwed. You can't apply more gel coat and you'll never get the abraded area to match.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 11:44AM
bathroomdesignboy

If you use a light car buffing compound on a high speed buffer you should be able to get most of the scratches out depending if the scratches went all way through the gelcoat. The friction from the high speed buffer should heat the gelcoat enough to make it pliable. I would try that first.

Here is a link that might be useful: the DIY resource

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Opinions on Water Creation Vanities??
I am strongly considering the Water Creation 72"...
likewhatyoudo
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
Sponsored Products
Eglo USA Damiel 200257A Opal Glass Vanity Light - 200257A
$84.98 | Hayneedle
Perry Single-Handle Widespread Faucet with Side Spray and Soap Dispenser
Signature Hardware
Vondom | F3 Club Chair
YLiving.com
W Lounge Chair in Red
$798.00 | LexMod
Flos | Arco Floor Lamp
YLighting