too much space between toilet and vanity?

bkmenaJuly 9, 2012

We're redoing a guest bathroom. It originally had a 36" vanity beside the toilet, and was very comfortable. Today we found a great deal on a vanity (75% off !!) but it's only a 30" vanity. How much space is too much between the cabinet and the toilet? I figured I could add a magazine rack and put the trash can there to fill the space. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
allison0704

I'd rather have too much than too little. I'm currently helping DD2 redo her MBath. It originally had a 72" double vanity with a pony wall between vanity and toilet. She wanted the pony wall gone, and we decided to go with a 60" double vanity. She'll still have enough counter space and the room won't feel so cramped.

Since we're working off the existing sink plumbing, we decided to work from the one closest to toilet, instead of the other which is closer to wall. Vanity won't look shoved in the corner. This eats up a little of the space she would have had, if she had worked off the other faucet plumbing, but the space wouldn't have allowed for a floor standing cabinet for storage, so...

Just make sure the 30" gives guests enough counter space.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 8:02AM
kashmi

I agree -- better too much than too little. There is some interesting research about the spray pattern when a toilet is flushed. So the further the vanity is from the toilet, the better!

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:58AM
bkmena

thanks for your thoughts....

I'm considering setting the vanity away from the side wall (freestanding), any thoughts on the spacing away from the wall? I want it to look intentional and the space be large enough to allow for cleaning along that edge.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 9:25AM
williamsem

Can you post the measurements along that wall? Where things are, any windows, storage, cabinets, etc that are there?

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Wall Mural (Photo Wallpaper, Photo Tile or Hire Artist?)
We have one wall in bath that's a hand-painted mural....
stevemac00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™