please help with challenging jack n jill tiling - pics included

michoumonsterJune 25, 2012

Hi everyone,

I urgently need your help! My builder wants me to tell him how to tile this week.

I have a jack and jill bathroom that is posing a bit of a tiling challenge for me.

The challenge comes with how to tile the walls.

There are two doors going into the room. There is also a 4'W x5' H window that goes along the long side of the tub.

Here is the bath layout. I marked where the doors and window are with red. The pic to the right is how i would like to tile the tub wall that is next to the door.

The vanity will have a wall mount faucet, so I plan to tile halfway up the wall to make it serve as a backsplash.

This is the type of vanity I want to use, but I could change it if needed--

But then what do I do to the other walls? If I tile all the other walls too, will this make it feel claustrophobic? it is not a huge bath, so I would love suggestions on what to do, or how to end the transtions.

thanks very much for your help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debinnh

Why not do that same wall treatment behind the vanity and mirror as a "panel" and not do the rest of the walls? Since the vanity is on the same wall as the tub, will you be tiling behind the tub up to the window? If so, then continue that to the vanity area to tie it all together, then just paint the rest of the walls.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 10:15AM
michoumonster

hi debinnh, thanks for the suggestion. I did plan to tile behind the tub up to the window, so that wall will have tile to look like wainscotting. But I am not sure how to do the tile on the wall where the showerhead will go. So for the showerhead area, I was going to do the ""panel"" like the pic above up to the ceiling, but then do I continue tiling all across to the toilet? or how to end it? maybe at the door frame?

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 12:49PM
debinnh

What I was picturing was from the door frame to the corner where the sink is. As high as the window or a bit higher all around except for the "panels" behind the sink and where the showerhead goes. It looks like the sink is the same width as the showerhead area, but if the sink is wider, then keep the proportions the same and make the panel the same width.

Does that make sense?

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 12:50PM
michoumonster

Hi Deb, i did a mockup of the walls. not sure if this is what you meant. do you mean i should do the small mosaic tiles on the vanity area too?
This is the layout again. i fixed a few things that were not to scale.

This is the wall with the tub and one of the doors. I ended the tile just before the door, and also did a panel of mosaics.

This is the wall with the vanity and window. right now, i did not put in a mosaic panel there.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Does this look like fake or real marble to you ?
Would a whole floor of this material look like real...
lillo
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Sponsored Products
Earth Tones Braided Rug 5' x 8' - LIGHT GREY
$349.00 | Horchow
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Menton
Home Depot
Handheld Citrus Reamer
$7.99 | zulily
48" Oak Dining Table
Fifthroom.com
Safavieh Paradise Pacific Light Blue Ceramic Garden Stool
Overstock.com