8" versus 7" wood flooring....big deal or get over it?

mayberry_moonMay 9, 2013

The first thing we picked out for our build, many months ago, was 8" oak flooring. Love the wide plank look, and perfect for the large scale of the house. They bid it and we accepted the bid and I've fantasized about my floors for this whole time. But they just told us, now that it's time to order, that the 8" isn't available anymore as production decreased in response to the recession. They can get 7".

My husband is a landscape contractor so I know this does happen in terms of supply drying up. I like this outfit as it is family owned. Is this a "just get over it!" situation, or a "just do more research and see if you can get is from someone else" situation? I'm incredibly tight on time with job and family responsibilities, so there's a cost to that research time...

What would you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Beth LaPenna

Although you may be a bit disappointed, I think you'll hardly notice the difference in the width when you consider the overall size of the areas where it will be installed. You may actually like a few more planks per room plus you are getting the floor you dreamed about and doing business with a company that you trust - that means a lot. I would not stress over it. Life is too short.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 7:08PM
live_wire_oak

You will have less problems with the 7" vs. an 8". Remember that the larger the width, the more it actually expands and contracts in response to environmental humidity.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 7:54PM
southernmum

Although I wanted wider planks, my builder says the same thing as live wire oak. He says the wider planks are much more problematic. In the rental I'm in currently, the floors are a lovely 8" brazillian cherry. ALthough the color is beautiful, there are gaps in the winter between the boards. Some of the boards are also warping. So, we are taking our builder's advice and going with a more narrow plank.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 9:32PM
mayberry_moon

Thank you so much for helping me over the hump. Onward and upward...

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Are these doors acceptable to you?
These are walnut interior doors. I understand that...
pumpkinhouse
5 panel interior doors
I love this door. I have Trustile- 2 panel, in my present...
ILoveRed
Ventless fireplace
I know there is a fireplace section on the forum, but...
okla1706
Clearing land - Forestry mulching
We bought our land and are anxious to get it cleared...
cricket5050
Would you trust a builder to create a blueprint from your own sketch?
We have heard of people building custom without using...
liv2tell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™