Glass top range or gas range?

shanny75June 28, 2008

Hi all,

I have a gas cooktop...preremodel.

I will need to relocate my gas line for my new kitchen design....1200 bucks!

My question is should I forego the gas line/gas range and install a glass top range? I know that I need 220 power, which is no problem. I am leaning toward the clean look of a glass cooktop, but worried about the actual cooking ...never had one! I also have SS cookware, which I believe is what is needed to work.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bellaanne

I love my glass cooktop! I was so tired of cleaning a gas stove cooktop. I find no difference in cooking. I have my Revereware pots and pans from 1976 and they work just fine. I don't do any grilling or use a griddle so having the burners is fine. I have a Maytag and am replacing with a new Kenmore Elite slide in for a remodel. Good luck on your decision.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 5:26PM
fandlil

We had to make the same decision about a year ago, and got a gas range for two reasons. First, we worried that the glass top gets scratched. It depends on how you cook. Some recipes call for shaking the skillet back and forth while you saute the mushrooms, for example. We didn't want to worry about scratched glass. The modern gas ranges with sealed burners are very easy to clean. Second, we sometimes get power failures here in North Carolina during winter storms, and we wanted to be able to use the cooktop when that happens. We got a Bosch gas range, one notch below the top of the line, and we're very pleased. By the way, broiling with gas is much better than with electric. Everybody says that, even people who are wedded to electric.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 2:25PM
marlingardener

I have a glass top Jennaire. Go with the gas! The glass tops are difficult to keep clean. When the burners are off and you want to bring something up to heat slowly you have no idea exactly where the burners are and have to shift pots around. I have cooked on electric stoves, gas and glass top. Glass top is my third choice (it came with the house).

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 3:18PM
scubated

I hate the glass top range we have now. It is a pain to keep clean and it is hard to get the temp you want. I can only get low and high heat. Can't do in between. We are having propane installed so I can actually cook again in our new kitchen. I am so done with electric cooktops. Stick with gas.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 3:43PM
stevep2005

Have you looked induction cooktops? If I wasn't able to get gas, then induction would be the only electric option I would consider. Induction has many advantages, including speed, control, and the to does not get dangerously hot like conventional electric.

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
36" induction cooktop with bridge
So far we've only found two 36" induction glass-top...
woodysapsucker
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
Noxious new oven smell ??
Our new Electrolux wave-touch double oven is wonderful,...
infohound2006
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
Sponsored Products
Reed and Barton Corp Tiago Chestnut Charger - 15001181
$48.00 | Hayneedle
Series 7042 Amber Cloud White Sconce
$148.50 | Bellacor
Sasha II Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Amber Cloud Glass
$432.00 | Bellacor
Lynx 42-inch Convenience Center
FRONTGATE
Jaipur Fables Engrain Area Rug - RUG108665
$43.00 | Hayneedle