50's bathtub grout

craestainesJune 17, 2013

The bathroom in my 1950's ranch is damp ALL the time. There is a window above the bathtub that is opened during every shower, but the moisture still builds up. Is this the reason for the mildew and mold that I am constantly battling on the bathtub tile grout? Will an installation of a fan/vent clear up the mildew problem or could it be from moisture build up behind the tile? (I don't think that's the case because behind the tile is inches thick concrete mortar...) Any information will be much appreciated. I'm trying to decide if I need to replace the bathtub tile.
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

An exhaust fan is a must. I don't know if you need to redo the tile. But either way you need an exhaust fan. I had a poorly working fan and my ceiling got moldy. When I replaced the fan much later, my ceiling stopped molding up. Now with my remodeling my plan is to have a wet location approved lighted vent inside the shower as well as another one at the other end of the room. It will be an inline fan. The fan will be located remotely, within the attic, and the vents ducted to the fan, which will be ducted through the roof.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 4:48AM
More Discussions
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Showers 101
I'm hoping there is someone who can direct me to a...
jpbenstock
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
Master bath remodel - faucet help
I'm trying to decide between a few faucets for my sinks...
melissapta
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™