Gas Valve Outlet Box

TakkoneJune 15, 2012

I'm looking for something like shown below for a gas range, to get the shut-off valve recessed. Problem is my supply line is big 1" inner diameter yellow gas pipe, and this box only accepts 1/2" iron, 3/4" iron, or 1/2" CSST. Any ideas? Can I just make something custom out of wood?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If the box comes without the other bits, why not just use a drill to enlarge the hole?

    Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 2:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

In our area the gas valve must be accessible without having to remove the range. You can use this box and bush the main line down to the size needed for the range. I have seen this box
installed in a cabinet near the range with an additional pipe leaving the box going to the range all hidden in the wall.
Our codes specify the shutoff must be accessible. NY code.

    Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 3:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Interesting. I just spoke to the utility company this morning. I'm in NY state. They told me even having to move the stove is still considered "accessible".

    Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 3:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The utility company is not the inspector.

    Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 4:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I couldn't find anywhere in the code where "access" is defined:

G2420.5 (409.5) Equipment shutoff valve. Each appliance shall be provided with a shutoff valve separate from the appliance. The shutoff valve shall be located in the same room as the appliance, not further than 6 feet (1829 mm) from the appliance, and shall be installed upstream from the union, connector or quick disconnect device it serves. Such shutoff valves shall be provided with access.

    Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 4:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Guys and gals, let's not argue a point that clearly can only be determined by the AHJ.

Takkone - the safest way to go is ask your inspector. He can answer your questions about what boxes and what location are suitable.

    Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 7:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It is a service valve, not an emergency valve.

The code will define what "access" means, often in the very front opening few chapters/sections.

    Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 10:33AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Double Gaggeneau Oven vs. Single with Microwave/Convection
We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen. I...
Convection Microwave vs Speed Cook Microwave Help
We are remodeling our basement to include a kitchenette...
Teresa Cooper
Anyone have experience with Ad Mark (eBay) appliance dealer?
Am considering buying Gagg induction cooktop + combi...
Masterchef options for Miele speed oven
I have played around with a Miele combi steam oven...
Capital Range Customer Service
Mostly people write on the internet forums, such as...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™