Flatwork

BreGalMay 18, 2012

We are building a craftsman style home with a porch and pillars and railings, etc. Our architect drew in the plans a porch with all the specs, a patio on the back of the house, a full driveway, and a walkway up to the porch. When a contractor is bidding "per plans" does he have to include all this flatwork that the architect drew in? And secondly, if a contract states that it's "per plans" and theres a line item for flatwork, is it assumed that he's doing all flatwork that's drawn on the plans?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzerarc

Never assume. If you are unsure of things, talk to your contractor about it. Typically when we release bid documents, in most cases they are a binding contract for the contractor to build and supply per plans. This is typical commercial practice, however the housing construction world is a lot more loose. Anything you are unsure about, talk about it with your builder. If you get a wishy washy answer, have him docuement exactly what he is including. Such as X amount of LF of 5' sidewalk, X amount of drive AND curb cut if required, etc.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Would you trust a builder to create a blueprint from your own sketch?
We have heard of people building custom without using...
liv2tell
Need help with 8' porch drop-off
I'm needing ideas for terracing steps from my front...
Beth LaPenna
Ventless fireplace
I know there is a fireplace section on the forum, but...
okla1706
It's February 2015- How is your build going?
January was a surprisingly active month! I admire all...
mushcreek
Finished basement infloor heat in MN
We are working to trim back costs on our upcoming build....
Mini Soda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™