72 in vanity in a 77 inch space?

katie111June 2, 2013

We have a small master bath that we are redoing. We just completed our kids bath as well as a basement reno & went over budget on those projects so I'm trying to keep the cost down a bit in the master bath. The bathroom is small (about 6 x 9) and we're not big "bathroom people" so I just don't want to spend a ton on this project.

On the left side of the bathroom is a wall to wall vanity & on the other side is the shower & the toilet. We do not plan to change the layout as it works fine for us. However, I'm finding it difficult to find a 77 inch vanity. We could do two 30 inch vanities with a 15 inch drawer bank and a couple inches of filler but it will cost around $2500 for a quality brand. Considering getting a 72 in furniture style vanity with legs instead but wondering if it will look strange with 2 inches of empty space on either end. Thinking the furniture style would be good as we could retrieve items that will inevitably fall off the sides. We could get a 72 inch for about $800 less as its obviously a standard size.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greendesigns_gw

Yes, it will look---and work---strange. You'd be much better off to do 2 24" vanities with nothing but open space in the middle. Or if you need the storage, bite the bullet and get the cabinetry from a cabinet company. $2500 is about average for cabinets for that large of a space.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 9:36AM
ChristaM

If the vanity really looks like furniture, I think it would work fine centered on the wall. You might be better off finding a 6' console cabinet and turning it into a vanity instead of buying a vanity unit. It will probably be cheaper too.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 11:24AM
motherof3inct

I actually think it would look fine if the cabinet is furniture style. I would just make sure there is enough space on the sides for painting and if things fall down the sides. I just installed 2 furniture style vanities, 72" and 60'. The 72" has 6" on the sides and the 60" has 2" against a wall on the left side. My countertop is a bit larger than the vanity base. You may want to take that into consideration. Maybe use a 60" double sink vanity if you are worried. You lose a lot of counter space though.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 12:02PM
saw50st8

I have the same dilemma and haven't resolved anything yet.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 12:53PM
a2gemini

Ditto here - I have to remeasure but this is sounding familiar

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
American Standard Town Square Toilet
Does anyone here have the American Standard Town Square...
mrsdindinbaby
Uberhaus Shower Column
Hello, I am looking for any feedback anyone can lend...
johnmaks
American Standard Vormax Toilet
Does any one have an experience with this toilet? http://www.americanstandard-us.com/vormax/ I...
David
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™