Proper height for a woman's vanity w/ seat?

mives714June 24, 2009

I mean what height should the countertop actually be? I think that the makeup area, meant for use while seated on a stool or something, should be lower than the sink countertops (35 1/2 inches). But layout shows it all the same. What do you all think it most comfortable or normal height for vanity should be? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lukkiirish

Typically, what I've seen is that with custom & semi custom cabinetry, the vanity table is a seperate piece with no base or legs. Because it's attached to the sides of neighboring cabinet pieces, you can make it any height you want. 35 1/2 must be the kitchen height cabinets because Kraftmaid's bathroom cabinets are 33in and other "bathroom height" cabinets we looked at were on average 31-32 inches but kitchen height was also offered. It varies and depends on the company. In otherwords, you can figure out what a comfortable height is for you and install it accordingly. The differences in heights will add some nice interest to the space.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 9:06AM
kgwlisa

When seated, the typical height is 29-30". This is standard table and desk height. if you wanted the vanity to be kitchen counter height (36" with counter) you can get a stool that is taller than a standard chair to sit on comfortably.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 10:09AM
kompy

I like my vanity area a little lower than table height. I'm not at home, so I can't measure it right now, but I think to the top of the granite, it's 28". I don't have a lap drawer....just a decorative apron/valance where your legs go. I didn't go with a drawer, because I needed my makeup area to be very shallow.

You can see my 'makeup area' by clicking the link below. It's in the 'gallery' section.

Here is a link that might be useful: My 28

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Very Cool - New Porcelanosa Luxury Vinyl Tiles
I would love this for my walls too! And the website...
numbersjunkie
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™