Do you know anything about this computer?

ginny12January 21, 2014

I am looking at a new desktop HP ENVY 700-215xt, running Windows 7. I can't find reviews online. Does anyone know anything about this computer and can offer an opinion? How about HP computers in general? I have always had a Dell.

I have needed a new desktop for several years and have put off buying because of Windows 8. Most of you are much better at this than I am. People I know of my skill level hate Windows 8 or 8.1.

Right now, I have an 11-year-old Dell, running Windows XP SP3. It works fine but Microsoft is ending security updates soon and it can't take advantage of the speed my cable connection offers. Plus it won't go beyond IE8.

I don't do gaming or a lot of fancy stuff. If I have to buy another in five years, I will but right now Windows 7 is my comfort zone. Thanks for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

Here are the specs on this computer.

Looks a great machine, Intel i7 processor, one terrabyte hard drive, 8 gigs of memory (RAM), 4 gigs to graphics (onboard as is most factory builds), USB2 and 3. I could not find any pics of the rear to see the video ports but as this is an expensive machine I suspect VGA, DVI and HDMI will be available.

A person could drool over something like this ;~)

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 4:10PM
zep516

Great machine!!!!

HP Bringing Back Windows 7 'By Popular Demand'

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hp-windows-7-laptops-notebooks-desktops,25817.html

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 4:38PM
ginny12

Many thanks to both of you for your opinions, which I value. I am going to go ahead and buy this computer.

I don't post a lot but do read and learn a lot and thank all you experts for your help.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 2:05PM
SnidelyWhiplash

That's an interesting model name.

As a subjective rather than objective observation, I personally have no HP envy (sorry for the pun). The name doesn't stand for the quality it used to have, though they continue to try to "allege" some premium to their products.

My company stopped buying HP PCs years and years ago, having found that other brands (Lenovo and Toshiba mainly) offered better quality and value. Today, I'd add Asus and perhaps even Acer to that list.

You'll likely do fine with the HP, but for me, I avoid them.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 2:38PM
grandms

I have had HPs and one Dell laptop. The Dell was junk. I have never had trouble with my HPs, both desktop and laptop.

Funny, ginny12, but I am considering that very same model for myself and for the same reasons you are. Good luck to both of us!

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 5:24PM
ginny12

Thanks, Grandms. Good luck to both of us for sure. I am ordering this computer on Tuesday when my friend can come over and help me decide on some of the options they have. Thanks again to you and all for your advice.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:08PM
evenshade

I've had several HP PCs over the years and (at least for me) they have been great machines.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 8:46PM
biwako_of_abi

I recently bought a Dell 660s with Windows 7. I was seriously considering HP, but at the time I was ready to buy, the only new HP desktops I found came with Windows 8.

Just chiming in with 2 cents more..Like some others here, I felt it was time to get a new computer, as my husband's is rather old and running XP, and I don't like Windows 8.

My old PC is a Dell Inspiron 560, which my husband will get to replace his, and I have the Dell Inspiron 660s. Both Inspirons are running Windows 7, my hope being to hold out until Windows 9, if it is more to my liking than "'8" and I live so long (I am an old lady already, though not retired!)

This may well be our last Dell. Our last 4 or 5 computers were Dells, and we have not had any trouble with them. BUT, this time I found it very frustrating to make a recovery disk in case I need to return to factory condition. The Dell Insp. 560 made that easy with a prompt right at set-up. This time, I had to search through some programs Dell had set up, one part of which, by the way, referred to clicking on a "tile," although this is a Win 7 machine. Then I got a message that some necessary file(s) had not gotten installed correctly (that would be at the factory!), so I had to download and install them, and they didn't appear in my PC for some time, so I didn't know if I had succeeded or not. Finally, an icon appeared that allowed me to make the restore disk.

Particularly frustrating was the way certain explanations from Dell would tell all about the restore disk and other things, but not contain a button to click to actually DO them.
That is possibly the fault of the faulty software installation I mentioned.

Whatever...this experience has really soured me on Dell. Next time I will probably be looking for other recommendations here.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 4:01PM
Spectre53

I don't know now, but I will have mine next Tuesday if all goes well. I will let you know. This is direct from HP as replacement for a warranted item

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 1:31PM
grandms

Just received notification that my new HP has been shipped today from plant in Mexico. Also, FedEx warns that shipment could be affected by bad weather being experienced in the East. This is the exact same computer OP has purchased.

This post was edited by grandms on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 21:05

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Firefox too much security? frequent blocking
I continue to have problems with Firefox blocking and...
jerry_nj
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
Snomam
I-Pad WiFi question
Wife has 13 month old I-Pad mini. I also have the other...
chas045
MacBook--Image Frozen on Screen
Anyone know what this means? (or how to rotate the...
Is this screen for real or is it a virus
On multiple sites I am getting a message at the top...
paulsmth2
Sponsored Products
Lambid Outdoor Patio 7-piece Espresso Sectional Set
Overstock.com
Westinghouse Ceiling Fans Bendan 52 in. Satin Chrome Ceiling Fan 7255700
Home Depot
Dale Tiffany Lamps Knighton 68 in. Dark Antique Bronze Mosaic Art Glass Floor
Home Depot
Warm Black Grommet Velvet Blackout Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Toscano Dining Chairs (Set of 2) - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture