Mixing brands: gas cooktop over electric wall oven

rovoJune 16, 2012

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have researched oven and cooktop choices to death, but can't seem to find an answer to this dilemma and would appreciate any feedback.

We are doing a mini (and very tight budget) kitchen remodel, and plan to replace only the countertops, gas cooktop and electric wall oven. Space and budget constraints dictate that the current setup remain: 30" gas cooktop directly over 30" electric wall oven. Currently have a 13 year old GE cooktop which I loathe (grey burner grates that simply will not come clean, chips, dying igniters) and a Ge electric oven that I am not crazy about (loud cooling fan, uneven temps, slow to preheat). I have a child with multiple food allergies and do most of our cooking and baking at home, so I would like something reliable and budget friendly, preferably with convection. In reading through the GW posts, I narrowed my wall oven choices down to the Electrolux (with wave touch) or the Bosch series 500 oven.

The problem is, I would like to use an older but unused Thermador gas cooktop (SGS model) given to us by a friend over the oven. Neither Thermador nor Electrolux have been helpful in answering whether this can be done. From the installation instructions, it appears that they will fit together (though I am not totally sure about this), but both company reps tell me that this is "not authorized" and could void the oven warranty.

Is it advisable to do this, or should I bite the bullet and shell out more money for a cooktop of the same brand as the oven?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sophie123

I tried to do this - i had a dacor oven and dacor cooktop over it and i wanted a thermador cooktop (new). It didn't work. The tubing collided with the mold of the oven. Only same manuf seems to work in my research. You have to see if it is supported even then. Your appliance store might help you here.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 3:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rovo

Thanks, sophie 123. After scouring the specs for both units until my eyes hurt, I'm beginning to think that going with a single brand makes the most sense. Now, on to the Bosch vs. Electrolux threads...

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
Help installing power cord to 48inch dual wolf range
I'm trying to install the power cord, not sure how...
rubyrashel
Refrigerator - Fisher Paykel, Blomberg, Summit...?
I am looking for a counter-depth refrigerator no more...
virtualanne
capital precision mcr304 vs. wolf gr304?
Anyone have thoughts on these two? Also looked at GE...
mweyandt
Dual Fuel Slide in Range Recommendations
I am looking to replace my 12 year old jenn air slide...
stp92x
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
Sponsored Products
Sunpentown SS-301 Multi Cooker Shabu-Shabu & Grill - SS-301
$42.69 | Hayneedle
Hape Indoor / Outdoor Cooktop - E3134
$36.99 | Hayneedle
Diamond Plus Saute Pan with Lid - 9-1/2" dia.
$199.95 | FRONTGATE
Sunpentown SC-887 6 Cup Stainless Steel Rice Cooker and Steamer - SC-887
$87.81 | Hayneedle
Induction 9.5 Inch Cooktop Converter Interface Disc
Overstock.com
Aroma Double-burner Hotplate
Overstock.com
Orange Eclipse 10'' Pancake Pan
$24.99 | zulily
Hypotheory Professional Style 36-inch Range Top/ Cooktop
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™