Any recs for a stylish, very well-made shower drain?

threeapplesJune 8, 2012

my tile guy is suggesting a brand, I can't remember what it's called, but it looks sort of cheap. What have you all been using? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee676

Don't know the brands, but do know to put the drain along the edge rather than in the middle where your feet will stand uncomfortably atop it. Or better yet, a trench drain.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 8:23AM
ShellKing

My plumber bought a drain that I'm sure was great -- but the drain cover was a yucky color that didn't match anything in my new bathroom. I had it powder coated to match my matte black faucets. yay! problem solved. You can also get things electroplated if you're trying to match a metal. Now that I think about it, I should have painted it to match my light tile instead.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:59AM
pharaoh

Trench drains are in.

They should have been in years ago. The center drain, although easy to install, puts the yuck right under your feet.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 12:30PM
Olychick

I sought out this one because it was easy to remove the cover to take out hair. I have the brushed nickel and am very happy with how it looks. My tile setter appreciated that it was square, since I had small mosaic tile on the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebbe drains

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 2:03PM
dekeoboe

We have the same drain cover as olychick. I like the looks of it and it does collect the hair for easy removal.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 7:56PM
threeapples

thanks, i was thinking of the ebbe drain as well. but, i have been looking into trench drains and am curious about those.
any comments on trench drains? thanks!

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 10:31PM
lee676

A trench drain under the shower door (rather than a threshold to step over), with the shower floor and the rest of the bathroom floor both both slightly sloped towards the drain, makes it easy to clean the rest of the bathroom floor with a wet mop and/or water spray since everything will flow into the into the same drain. And there's no risk of a plumbing problem flooding your bathroom or your house with that arrangement. I suppose putting the trench drain behind the shower would allow the same thing, but I like the shower floor to be sequestered.

Although a small tile-sized drain could work the same way I suppose if you go with a non-threshold shower setup.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:04PM
lalithar

I am using the ebbe drain as well. The was helpful over the phone. I ended up ordering the drain and the entire head and my plumbers found it easy to install.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 12:52AM
More Discussions
Vanities on opposite walls -- how much width?
Hey all. We are trying to design a long and narrow...
jenmendel23
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
Bathroom
Walls are blue with red and royal blue towels white...
bobbyfly1
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™