PEX tubing vs. copper for drinking water

gfmmjmMay 26, 2012

Our architect is highly recommending that the builder of our new home uses copper piping to the sites (like kitchen, bathroom faucets) from which water will be routinely drunk - the concern is potential chemicals leached from PEX piping. Copper is much more expensive to install than PEX. A realtor acquaintance said that he had not seen people concerned with all PEX piping in a potential purchase. What is the collective wisdom of using all PEX (cost effective) vs. selective copper tubing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EngineerChic

On our remodel I told our builder I wanted copper on all drinking water sources. I rationalized that I spend enough time in places where I can't drink the water and I wasn't doing that in my own house.

We are using PEX for the baseboard heat, PVC for waste lines, and copper for all supply. I know that PEX has its benefits but it hasn't been around long enough that I'm drinking from it (even though I drank from a green garden hose as a kid, I know it's somewhat irrational but it's my money).

I don't think your choice will affect resale UNLESS someone finds out that it does leach chemicals and then it will be like Chinese drywall and lead paint - a big deal for some people but not all.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 9:59PM
threeapples

we went with PEX because our well water will not work with copper piping, unfortunately. i hope chemicals don't leach from PEX piping!

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 10:00PM
sis3

PEX was invented in the 1950s and has been used extensively and very successfully since the 1970s....in Europe! I think the big question over its use for potable water here arises from the effects of the high chlorine content in our water. In most of Europe's potable water chlorine is almost non existent. Perhaps the amount of chlorine we are drinking should be our larger concern!

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Well Water
For those of you with well water only. What systems...
Renee0829
Purchasing Items during build?
For those who have gone through the building process...
njbuilding143
Floorplan Feedback-I think we're getting close!
This is the upstairs. The office in the lower corner...
edwardshome
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Ventless fireplace
I know there is a fireplace section on the forum, but...
okla1706
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™