Do you have a favorite solid-surface shower base?

LARemodelJune 26, 2014

I am considering a solid-surface shower base for my master bath remodel. The existing shower 30"x60" and has 2"x2" unglazed ceramic tile. Bathroom is on 2nd floor. It will be a compete gut, so I can adjust layout to dimensions of shower base.

I'm finding a lot of options for solid-surface shower bases. What are the pros and cons of Kohler's enameled cast-iron vs MTI acrylic? Fleurco Urbana composite with seat vs WetStyle's natural stone composite shower receptor?

If I decide, instead, to go with a curbless, linear-drain, tiled shower floor, will that be a lot more expensive?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

Kohler's cast iron shower receptors are great. Solid, well made, and they look really nice, too. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find at least a few threads enumerating the pros of using one. We have one in our guest bathroom. We dodged a bullet when I insisted we return the acrylic one we'd originally ordered. It was supposed to be fiberglass, but it wasn't. It didn't have no-slip grips, which was a deal breaker, as the surface would certainly be slicker then slick when wet. The cast iron receptor will surely continue to look great , and hold up well for many, many years.

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 1:07AM
Trebruchet

LARemodel:

Check out the link, please:

Here is a link that might be useful: Grifform

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 8:22AM
melle_sacto

Those GRIF form bases look really cool! I like our Corian counters in the kitchen, I think Corian would be an excellent choice for a shower base.

We installed a Swanstone base in our shower about 3 years ago. It has been very easy to maintain, but I guess I can't speak to long-term durability. The shower is used every day, currently by 4 people while we remodel the other bathroom. I'd say it still looks as nice, today, as it did when we installed it. I like the raised non-slips more than etched (our new Kohler Villager cast iron tub in the other bathroom has etched nonslips and they feel like chalkboard to me -- I'll probably stick the bathtub mat over them when the remodel is done).

I'd go with Swanstone again if I had to make the choice. We also have the Swanstone solid surface shower niche, and that is a piece of cake to maintain.

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 12:06PM
enduring

I am extremely sensitive to textures with regards to touch. The Kohler etched surface is no problem for me. I love my cast iron tub and my shower pan. I know many love their solid surface too, I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 9:08AM
weedyacres

I've used both Swanstone and Onyx shower bases and was happy with both. No cleaning issues or slipping issues with either.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 2:18PM
bathroomdesignboy

I would HIGHLY recommend the Onyx Collection shower pans. Made in the USA and the customer service is incredible! You cant go wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Onyx Shower pan

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
tile drywall corner transition
I'm trying to figure out how to complete the corner...
mattt19
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
Sponsored Products
DreamLine Shower Enclosures Unidoor Plus 34-3/8 in. x 50-1/2 in. x 72 in. Hinge
Home Depot
Chevron Garden Shower Curtain
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Tempo Hand Shower with Slide Bar - English Nickel
Signature Hardware
Rain Wall Sconce by Varaluz
$149.00 | Lumens
Petals Multicolor Shower Curtain
Overstock.com