1950s Bathroom Face Lift

twpearsonJune 25, 2012

Hello, first time poster, long time reader. Looking for some input on some color ideas for our 1950s bathroom. We've updated the floor as you can see in the picture. Went with Congoleum's Duraceramic, Earthpath: Smokey Clay vinyl tiles. We'd like to give the walls a new color, as right now it's just the off white that matches the off white tile. Would like the paint color to match or work well with a new color on the vanity. We're going to sand it down and give it a fresh coat as well, and add new hardward to the vanity. We would also like to change up the light fixture you see on the wall. There is an identical one on the opposite side. So if anyone has any ideas of a color for the wall, a different color for the vanity, and a new light fixture idea, I would love to hear it. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juddgirl2

Your picture rotated right side up.

Do you prefer to stay with light,neutral colors or are you looking for something darker? You could paint the vanity espresso and use shiny chrome hardware or repaint a fresh off-white and use oil-rubbed bronze or satin nickel hardware.

It depends on your preference. My powder room has travertine floors, BM Baby Turtle walls, a mahogany vanity and ORB fixtures. Very warm and cozy.

My guest bath has travertine floors, shiny chrome fixtures and hardware, a cherry type stained vanity, white subway tiled shower, and pale BM Old Prairie walls. It's very bright and spa like, but the stained vanity and ivory floors offer some warmth. Both are very different looks.

Pottery Barn has some nice light fixtures - I just installed the Sussex tube sconces and they're very pretty.

Paint and new floors alone can make a big difference but a new faucet is another low cost fix that will have an impact. You could also frame your large mirror with wood to match the vanity. If you search the web, you'll find DIY instructions.

Good luck!

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

While this is a kitchen rather than a bath, I think the color scheme would work well with your existing aqua stripe in the tile. The walls are SW Sea Salt and the island is SW rain washed, which I think would be nice for the vanity if you want a color, kind of spa-ish. A grey or a darker gel stain would also work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqua and white kitchen

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:51AM
More Discussions
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Bath fan dilemma
Looking for other options for bath fan/heater/light/nightlight....
gramarows
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
Thinking about the new Bain Geysair Oval Plus. Opinions/Exp?
Hi, I think this really is the time we are actually...
raehelen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™