refrigerator reliability?

rockandrollerJune 18, 2012

Our fridge is always too full... we live a ways out of town, and like to go shopping no more than once every 3 weeks.

So, the fridge is so full of "stored" stuff that my wife has no room to put away "cooked" stuff!

Ergo, we plan to buy a second 'storage' fridge to keep downstairs. I'd love to have just one giant fridge upstairs, but there is not enough space...

Anyway, the question is - whats a RELIABLE and ENERGY EFFICIENT fridge that is AFFORDABLE? I am bothered by all the manufacturers offering ONE YEAR WARRANTY as standard! A fridge should last 20 years, right?

Seems "ENERGY STAR" design makes for a less reliable and noisier fridge! Since we have to put it downstairs, noise is not such an issue. But I don't want to be buying another one in a year or two...

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome. We're in Atlantic Canada, so our choices are probably limited to LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Maytag, GE and whatever Sears is hawking these days...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

KitchenAid offers a 5-years full warranty (labor included) on the sealed system components, then 5 years more parts-only (labor not included). But their models are upscale SxS, counterdepth, and French door ... not so much in the "affordable" range.

Thing is, KitchenAid is Whirlpool, so one can (maybe) presume that the mechanical components are largely the same between the Whirlpool brand labels. Longer warranty is likely part of the higher KA price-line.

My suggestion is check for the lowest-price topfreezer unit that meets your need for size, on the Whirlpool or Kenmore label. Try to confirm if the Kenmore model(s) of choice are sourced from Whirlpool (remember, Kenmore is a brand-label only) -- the first three digits of Kenmore model numbers (before the period) indicate the manufacturer. Translation of the codes can be found online, below is one source:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Manufacturing Codes

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:15PM
mydreamhome

If you just want an all fridge model, this Kenmore is awesome. Ours has been in use for 6 or 7 years now with absolutely no problems & plenty of storage space. It's pretty basic and runs ~$500, although with certain sales, you can get it for around $450.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Freezerless Refrigerator

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:08PM
bri0822

I suggest avoiding GE refrigerators. Search for my other post, "Young GE refrig, endless repairs," and you will see my experience with a GE unit. Long story short - in less than 2 years, I've paid almost as much in repairs as the full price of my GE side-by-side, which came only with a one-year warranty.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 9:14AM
barjohng

GE and Viking refrigerators have the worst reliability reputations. Multiple appliance stores I have visited have all said they would not recommend either even though they sell both. They know that a customer that is buying high end will be on them for repairs and problems and they would just as soon not have to deal with those problems.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:40PM
lwerner

In my fridge research I've been impressed with Samsung and LG so far. Their mid/high-range lines have pretty good warranties on the "sealed system" -- compressor, evaporator, etc. I haven't bought either of them yet, but the ones I've messed with at the local appliance store seem well built.

Laura

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
Help installing power cord to 48inch dual wolf range
I'm trying to install the power cord, not sure how...
rubyrashel
Bluestar Platinum Owners - How is your Range
How is it to use the grill and griddle? ie ease of...
dzaner
Ordered my BlueStar!
I ordered and paid my deposit on my BlueStar on Saturday....
Debbi Branka
Capital Culinarian oven latch
My wife and I have a nearly new 36" self clean...
fredbarber
Sponsored Products
Avanti 1.7-cubic foot Black Refrigerator
Overstock.com
24-oz. Brie en Croute - APPLE/PECAN
$65.00 | Horchow
Grillware 21" Warming Tray
$34.95 | FRONTGATE
Grillware Sizzler Platter
$24.95 | FRONTGATE
Heavy-duty In-line Ice and Refrigerator Filter
Overstock.com