Temporary Top For Shower Curb??

jaidogJune 13, 2012

Our shower is almost finished, but the rest of the bathroom won't be attacked for a couple of years. Our long-term plan is to install a solid piece of granite on the top portion of our shower curb. But, we don't want to do this until granite tops are picked out for the sinks which will be in a couple of years.

In the meantime, what could we install as the top portion of the shower curb? And, how would we attach this to the curb? I would like the material to be inexpensive and easily removable so as not to damage the curb at time of removal. Any ideas?

Below is a photo showing a piece of solid material on top of a curb. By the way, we will not have a door or glass on top of the curb -- it is a doorless shower.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

A piece of marble is not outrageous. How about buying one (or two shorter ones) off-the-shelf and installing it (set it in thinset for safety), then caulk the edges? Tilt it inward a bit when you set it.

Or maybe go to a tile shop and ask for one that's damaged or discontinued for a cheaper price.

Or paint it with Mapei aquadefense and leave it alone.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 7:48PM
jaidog

My concern with a piece of stone adhered with thinset is that the removal of the stone in the future will cause some damage.

I like the idea of a waterproofing membrane. I have some leftover Hydroban. Not sure if it will work as a waterproofing barrier for a couple of years without any tile on top of it. I will contact Laticrete to find out.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 10:57PM
bill_vincent

one thing about the Hydroban-- if, when pulling the temporary curb, you damage the memnbrane, you can paint some more hydroban on it, and you're just as good as new.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 11:24PM
jaidog

Bill,

Any thoughts on whether Hydroban left exposed on the top of the curb will work for a couple of years?

If exposed Hydroban won't work, could I get away with installing a cheap solid piece using silicone or something like silicone that would make removal easier? More than pulling off the hydroban, I'm worried that large chunks of thinset and maybe even the vertical portions of the curb I want to keep will come out at the time of removal.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Master Bathroom with Laundry
Where would you start with planning the perfect master...
queenofmycastle0221
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Wall Mural (Photo Wallpaper, Photo Tile or Hire Artist?)
We have one wall in bath that's a hand-painted mural....
stevemac00
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™