help! vent a hood magic lung vs. m series or other

2LittleFishiesJune 20, 2012

Please help. I just want to choose a liner for a wood hood our cabinet guy will build. I feel like it's been so difficult to get answers and just choose one!

We will have a Thermador 36" induction cooktop.

FIrst our guy at Ferguson gave me a 26" or 27" insert when I realize I need something larger.

SO, now he emailed me the M line insert from Vent A Hood. I called VAH and see that that product doesn't use their "magic lung" system. It has baffle filters and you buy the blower separate (600 or 1200 CFM)

There is an MSLD and MPSLD- not sure of the difference yet.

So, the MAGIC LUNG ones are the KH34SLD which says 250 CFM which is = to 375.. Says it is capable of handling equipment with a 900 CFM requirement. Really???

The BH234SLD is 600 CFM which also says capable of handling equipment with a 900 CFM requirement.

So--- is the magic lung system preferred or would you go with the M Line.

The woman said the Magic Lung system is filterless and is quieter, easier to clean once or twice a year.

Thanks so much!! Just want to settle this decision. OR, if there's another product you'd recommend let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barjohng

I just finished struggling with the same issue. There seems to be a great deal of controversy about the magiclung and the ease of cleaning. I have spoken to some owners and they love them. As to their claim of their 600CFM being equal to other baffle or screen filter hoods rated at 900 CFM that appears to be valid based on two factors. First, there is at least a 20% loss due to the filters and second, many other units use a 7" or 6" duct further reducing their effective rate while VAH uses an 8" duct.

All of these numbers are ideals that are never achieved in real world application so you have to take them as relative comparisons and not much more.

I finally chose the Modern-Air duct as the best compromise as it uses an 8" duct, has an excellent reputation (made here in CA where I live) and very high quality construction and polished baffles with smooth rather than sharp edges. It was a little less than the VAH though that was not the deciding factor.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:33PM
clinresga

Clearly you haven't followed the VAH threads here. I'm highly biased, but I'd venture to say that the consensus here is that VAH "Magic Lung" hoods are overhyped, noisy, and clearly fail to live up to their "50% greater throughput" claim, which I believe to be utter nonsense. And they are undoubtedly a PITA to clean. I, for one, really dislike my 600 cfm VAH at the lake house. Comparing it to my Modern Aire hood with Fantech blower is like comparing a moped to a Ducatti.

But don't take my word for it, do a search on Vent a Hood on this forum and spend some time perusing. For starters, you can try this:

Is the Magic Lung really magic?

or this

vent hoods and noise: the real scoop

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:10PM
2LittleFishies

Yes, after I posted I did a search (backwards, I know) and saw the threads you posted.

I'll read them through again. What about the Vent A Hood M Series, then, which is NOT with the Magic Lung. http://www.ventahood.com/msld.jsp

Or, when I called Best the gentlemen directed me to this RMIP series.
http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100124 The blower is separate the P5 or P8.
http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?productID=1205

What do you think?

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:43PM
bonesoda

@2LittleFishies: I asked the M series vs magic lung question a while back... not 100% what answers i got but basically i went with magic lung 42". So far i have used it 4 times, all i can say is wow... this thing sucks almost as good as the big vents at the restaurant.

I seared some meat and there was no smell/smoke anywhere in the kitchen/house.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 10:11PM
barjohng

There are many factors that go into performance such as what size ducting, how long the run, how many turns in the run, etc. The people I spoke with that owned them swear by them so I would be cautious on any radical posting on here. The simple truth is that one can get at least 20% better performance and possibly as much as 50% by having an 8" short run duct and no baffles. It really depends on your particular installation.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Wolf is increasing the BTUs on front burners
When I called the Wolf showroom in Atlanta, I was told...
charon70
Rangetops - Wolf, Bluestar Platinum, or Bluestar "regular"
I realize some of my questions have been covered, but...
riese1
Need feedback on KOBE Range Hood
Hello! I'm looking at buying a KOBE range hood. The...
bblakeney
AGA Marvel Refrigerator - noisy?????
Hello GWrs....hoping one of you owns one of these things...
lisanoon
wall ovens - Wolf M Series, Gaggenau, or Bosch Benchmark
I am desperately trying to make a decision about my...
riese1
Sponsored Products
Dale Tiffany Rosalie Art Glass Vase
$129.99 | LuxeDecor
Soft-tex Any Position Pillow - 62712
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Disney Princess Dimensional Bath Mat
$9.99 | zulily
Darya Rugs Oushak, Blue, 6'2" x 9'4" M1715-143
Bitterroot Bit and Spur
Floating Medallions Runner 2' 6" x 12' - BLUE
$349.00 | Horchow
Malaga One Light Wall Sconce In Brushed Nickel
$78.00 | Bellacor
Beaumont Concealed 1 Outlet Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve (Racetrack)
Hudson Reed
Grohe SilverFlex Hoses - Starlight Chrome
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™