How long does reglazing last?

sophie_blueJune 14, 2008

I'm considering reglazing the tub in our co-op apartment because I was told that replacing the tub is difficult and expensive since the water has to be turned off in the entire building.

How long does reglazing usually last? This is the only bathroom and will be used every day.

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

It depends on several factors. I know there are people here who have been happy with it, but a few of my neighbors tried it and it failed within a year. If you look at the sites for many of the leading reglazing companies you will see their examples always show "investment" (ie rental) properties.

I don't understand about the cost and the water. You will have to turn the water off to do any plumbing work, and if you don't have a shut off for your unit, that's goring to be a problem. I live in a 4-plex that was like but everyone paid to put in separate shut-offs to make life easier.

Replacing a tub is very expensive, but that's because of the difficulty of prying it out, getting it out of the house, fixing the walls, and getting the new one in and installed. Of course, if you have a free-standing tub like a clawfoot, it's not as difficult, as long as it will fit through your doorways.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 6:18PM
writersblock

Depending on how your place is constructed, getting access to hook up the plumbing can also be a huge headache.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 6:19PM
sophie_blue

The expensive part is paying for the water to be shut off. This is a 200 unit building in NYC so no separate shut-offs planned. The tile around the tub is in good condition but if the tub is ripped out, I don't mind retiling the walls and floors to put in the tile I really like.

I will be replacing sink and toilet as well but they have separate valves and can be easily switched out.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 6:41PM
charlikin

Hi Sophie - I'm in a NYC coop also. You have to pay to have the water shut off??? Seems it happens every other week in my building, and I doubt anyone's paying to make it happen...

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 7:00PM
sophie_blue

Charlikin,
That's what the broker told us when we were buying the place. I'm going to check with the management to see how much it is.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 10:03PM
kylewest

Re-glazing is a quick fix. Stinky smelling job. I hear it lasts from 1-5 years. When it fails, it begins to flake off. Commonly done when resale is about to occur or when old tub is so gross you can't stand it but can't afford to replace it. This is not a permanent solution. And when it begins to peel off, it looks AWFUL.

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 12:58PM
chrystyne731

I had mine done and it started chipping within 6 months. It looks awful now. It's more that halfway chipped off so we're going to tear it out and replace it. Forget it if you drop a full shampoo bottle in the wrong spot. Maybe mine wasn't done properly, but it was done by a professional and I hate it.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 9:12AM
sophie_blue

Thanks for the replies! Looks like we won't be reglazing.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 12:35PM
mongoct

sophie,

If your tub is a "standard" tub installation, with a shower/tub valve in the wall above, then the water may not necessarily have to be turned off in order to replace the tub.

If you want to replace the valve, then the water has to be turned off.

I have two apartments in Manhattan, when I did a gut remodel of the baths I slipped the doorman a nice tip, turned off the water to my stack, did my business, then turned it back on. He fielded a couple of calls from other residents while the water was out. I did it during the day when most people were working.

Mongo

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 3:59PM
mercurygirl

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm interested in this process. Got a nice original '40's tub and I was told the reglazing worked well and is relatively inexpensive. If it's not a worthwhile investment, are there any other solutions for an old (though decent), dirty-looking, unshiny tub?
I guess it doesn't have to be shiny, that's the fiberglass look. But clean, maybe a bleach bath. I seem to also recollect something I read about old bathtubs and sinks leaching lead. If I find it, I'll post.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 2:16AM
61tinkerbell

What about a bathliner? I keep seeing this in a mall display. It's a fiberglass mold - custom made to your tub.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathliners

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 7:49AM
sophie_blue

tinker, my research indicates that bathliners are unreliable. They leak and mold starts to grow between the liner and the tub.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 10:21AM
writersblock

They are not any cheaper than doing it right, either. A friend just did it and it was close to five grand by the time it was all done, just for the mold and the install.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™