Schluter Kerdi shows ridges through Kerdi

nonstopJune 9, 2013

I wish I would have found this site last thursday. I have installed two walls of kerdi using hardibacker, Mapei Floor and wall tile mortar, a 1/4 x 3/16th V-notch trowel, and I can see ridges through the Kerdi all over the walls. I mixed the mortar to a milkshake consistency by adding more water, I used two trowels to embed the Kerdi in the Mortar but it just would not flatten out. I did not do the pan yet as I am afraid I need to tear it out and do it again, but I don't know what to do. I have a call in to Schluter but since its the weekend, they can't get back to me until next week. What should I do?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xedos

When did you add the "more water" ?

Did you let the bucket rest a few minutes after mixing it , and then mix it again ?

Did you wet the walls with a sponge or garden sprayer before applying the mortar ?

When you say it wouldn't flatten out, do you mean you have waves and bumps that aren't at the seams ?

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:43PM
nonstop

I added more water from the beginning, more as in more than the mix required on the bag.
I mixed for 5 mins and let rest for 10 min.
I did not wet the walls at all.
It is flat as in, if I take a level to it, it is plumb. The ridges that the V notch trowel made did not squish into the valleys. So , I can see light and dark lines throughout the kerdi.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 10:18PM
catbuilder

Your problem is you didn't wet the walls first. Hardi is VERY thirsty, and will soak up a lot of water. It actually sucks the water right out of the thinset. You need to wet it down really well, and then wet it down some more. It takes a LOT of water. A lot of people end up putting a coat of primer on it first, to alleviate the problem. I would pull down the Kerdi and start over. You might be able to scrape the thinset off of the Kerdi and re-use it. Cleaning the thinset off of the Hardi should be relatively easy.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 8:43AM
nonstop

I am pulling the sheets off and most of the mesh is still attached, but there are mortar lines on the sheets. I should be able to reuse them right?
I am trying to scrape off the mortar off the walls but it seems like i can not get it down to the hardi, is that ok?

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 11:11AM
pharaoh

I never use hardibacker with kerdi. I put kerdi directly on dry wall. I am not a pro but I believe kerdi can go on dry wall.
No problems so far with this method.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™