Recommended inexpensive canister vacuum

secsteveJune 17, 2013

I'm looking to replace our Electrolux Oxygen canister bagged vacuum which is primarily for the downstairs area.

I don't need anything fancy as we have a Dyson animal for the upstairs area. I do bring it down when I need to, but would prefer to have one downstairs. The downstairs consists of living room, dining room and family room rugs. Family room is Berber and the other two are regular pile carpets. Only hardwood is hallway and kitchen.

I've been told Dirt Devil and Kenmore are both good to consider.

I don't need a $250 and upward vacuum and prefer a canister.

I've been checking different vacuums on line, but always like to hear from folks here.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MizLizzie

My housekeeper swears by Kenmore. She will not use anything else, not even a Meile or a central system. She hauls that Kenmore everywhere, and even buys the service contract. She says it always pays off for her, but YMMV. The average homeowner won't run their vacuum 4 hours a day.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:42AM
Nunyabiz1

Get the Shark Rotator Lift Away.
Cost around $200, better than your Dyson.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:28AM
tiamaria

I'm trying to find a decent vacuum for my son's new apartment space. It's hardwood floors and carpet.
He has northern breed dog residing there also.

I can't invest in a Miele. Would like to pick the best out of the units costing $250. I almost selected the Shark Pro series based on the reviews but then you read a review that claims there is weak suction and I wonder if people know what they're talking about. Is it true that American made vacuums are a joke? Someone claimed that European vacuums are more powerful (1700 watts) and much cheaper yet that doesn't seem to be the case when you look at the power of Mieles.

I searched multiple forums for information regarding vacuums. I would think this is an important topic. I'll be going to the library to see what CR says but hope to hear from others on the forum.
Thanks
TM

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 8:25AM
nerdyshopper

After reading your post I went to Amazon.com and checked all the brands they sell to see if one had positive feedback reviews. Most positives were short time owners. All low cost vacuums got large amounts of negative rants saying they are now cheap short lived junk imported from China. Even makers of expensive luxury models like Electrolux get their low cost models that way.. Maybe you could find a different on-line site with other brands and reviews yourself.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:44PM
LoPay

I've had a Panasonic canister for 20 years. It works fine, but its clumsy to use and I hate having to find bags. I also have a Dyson upright, and wouldn't buy anything but a Dyson again.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
Where do you guys buy a refrigerator for your house?
Hi, all! I am thinking about buying a new refrigerator...
mrseangao
Bosch 500 Series
Any thoughts on the Bosch 500 evolution series? My...
queensinfo
Noxious new oven smell ??
Our new Electrolux wave-touch double oven is wonderful,...
infohound2006
Problem with installing PHS920SFSS GE Slide-in induction range
Hi all, Has anyone installed the GE PHS920SFSS slide-in...
tsesung
Buy Wolf or Elux wall oven if don't use self clean?
I've read all the horror stories about the blue enamel...
golfergirl29
Sponsored Products
Casper Ghost Dining Armchair in Clear
$99.00 | LexMod
Helix Chrome Concealed Thermostatic Twin Shower Faucet Valve 1 Outlet
Hudson Reed
Soft Strip Cove Square
Lightology
Eastwood Ottoman - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Royal Palm Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Cuadrado Cowhide Rug - Milk - Zag Cowhide Rugs
$1,152.00 | HORNE
Outdoor Parkdale Rug in Sunbrella Criss Cross Blue/Blue White Wicker - 5' x 8'
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Neptune | Jade Activ-Air Tub
$3,337.50 | YBath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™