Help! Need appliance package for in-laws!

amharrisJune 12, 2013

Hi everyone. Hoping you can help me. My in-laws are about to put their house on the market and move to a retirement community with assisted living available as they age. They are going to get a 2 BR unit that has a small, but full service kitchen. We want to help them redo the kitchen--they are moving out of a very nice home, and while the condo is nice, the kitchen is ugly. This is obviously a big decision, and fraught with emotions. They are ready to make the move--but are a bit overwhelmed right now.

FIL is conservative and is worried about $. MIL knows that if they don't do the kitchen now it likely will never happen (after 55 years of marriage she knows how the "we'll get to it" thing goes!). Money really isn't a problem for them (and we will happily foot the bill if it becomes one--we just want them to have a place that is similar in style/quality they currently have. )

Anyway...DH and I can build and intall cabinets, and they won't be very expensive because the kitchen is small. What I am wondering is if anyone can recommend an appliance package for the kitchen. We would need:

- Counter depth fridge
- Electric cooktop (maybe induction)
- DW
- Sink
- Oven
- MW

They won't be doing as much cooking as in the past, so appliances don't need to be workhorses--just good, functional, reliable.

We haven't set a budget--but not thinking that subzero, thermador, bosch, etc. are needed!

Any ideas welcome! Thanks, Anne

This post was edited by Anne2326 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 8:55

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
williamsem

I'm not sure what brands might meet your needs, there are many here that can help with that. But I would suggest induction as a safety measure, consider raising the DW a bit for ease of use when aging, and MW and wall oven at a comfortable height to minimize bending and reaching for hot objects. A single sink to minimize the need to manipulate larger items when cleaning might help, as well as watching how deep it is so it will be comfortable for them.

I bet they will love the new place! Sounds like they have some great people watching out for them.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amharris

Great ideas williamsem. Thank you!

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Double ovens - Gaggenau, Bosch, Wolf, Miele
I do realize that there are many posts about this,...
riese1
Bertazzoni 36" Dual Fuel or other range in price point?
There have been a lot of discussion about the Bertazzoni...
Buttons
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™