I have a 9'tall, 9'deep, 15' wide space in my closet--what to do?

threeapplesMay 18, 2012

my closet is off our master bedroom and i'm in the process of designing cabinetry/shelving for it. It's a long story, but I have a vertical space with the size described above in the middle of the wall that the door is on and I'm trying to figure out a creative use for that space so it's not just a random open nook from floor to ceiling. The cabinet guy cannot put drawers in it, but is suggesting adjustable shelves behind two stacked glass doors. I'd love something unique here, but have no ideas. Any suggestions? thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

I can't figure out your actual dimensions (because of GW's limited use of characters in titles of posts)...
But, would something like this work?

Source: ths.gardenweb.com via Dayna on Pinterest

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 2:10PM
dekeoboe

Can you post a picture of the opening? Jewelry cabinet?

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 4:08PM
sweeby

GW has a problem with ' and " in titles -- So I'm just going to guess that your space is 9 feet tall by 9 inches deep by 15 inches wide?

If that's the case, something like Kirkhall suggested -- a full-length mirror on hinges covering a shallow shelving section would be fabulous. Use the shelves for jewelry, scarves, belts, accessories -- the kinds of items you might have to try on with your outfit to see if they work. You could also do open shoe shelves, but I'm thinking your space isn't quite deep enough...

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 7:06PM
threeapples

Sweeby, yes, you are correct in the size. Do you think a mirror on hinges going all the way up to a 9 foot ceiling would work ok and not look odd? Thanks!

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Would you give this to the architect - take 2?
I posted a floor plan last week to get input before...
boonieshome
Modifying Master Bedroom Entry
This plan includes a nice hallway that runs across...
burbmomoftwo
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Window Trim
I found the attached picture, and like the window trim...
burbmomoftwo
House complete... Moving Friday... Photo tour
Hi all! I thought I would post some pics while the...
Momto3kiddos
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™