Induction cooktop in front of windows?

BarbaravJune 22, 2013

I would love to hear from anyone who has placed an induction cooktop/range (or and cooking appliance) in front of a window. I'm redoing my kitchen and trying to reconfigure it, mainly to move a fridge to the other existing wall. The longest wall has windows, which I love, but are limiting in the placement of appliances. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

Check code in your area. In some places, cooktops aren't allowed in front of windows although that might only apply to gas cooktops, not induction.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:00AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

IF a cooktop is in front of a window, it's usually required to be non operative safety glass. That means changing out the windows, not placing something in front of them as is. MOST codes though are not that permissive so as to allow the safety hazard.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:37AM
kaseki

Grease splatter may be more obvious on a window than on a backsplash.

Because an induction cooktop does not radiate heat towards the window, it should be compatible with glass. While the philosophy of "better to ask forgiveness than permission" has its utility at times, for Code compliance and avoiding expense the opposite is true. Ask first after explaining induction if the AHJ doesn't know what it is.

kas

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:47AM
Barbarav

Good grief! I didn't even think about the codes, I was concerned mainly with whether it would be high maintenance. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:59AM
Fori is not pleased

Ask on the kitchen forum if you haven't. Someone did it years ago--it was an interior window and very cool and I forget her name...

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 5:17PM
Barbarav

Thanks fori. I did that. Found some photos on the houzz site, which is what sparked the idea. They looked pretty cool.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:23PM
jwvideo

Those houzz images seemto have jnspired numbers of folks to adopt the layout you are considering. Have you seen these older GW threads?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1222462528548.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0122562722892.html

I know of no provision in any fire codes or the IRC which would prohibit anybody from placing an induction cooktop or range in front of a window in a residence. Bear in mind that you have to respect the directions amd distances specified in your stove or cooktop's installation instruction. Also, we've all seen kitchen designs for decades that have placed cooktops beneath pass-throughs and behind breakfast bars and such. That strikes me as no different than a window.

All that having been said, the actual content of the codes may not matter if you live in an area or town where Code enforcement is a bastion of the arbitrary, whimsical, and capricious. It always is a good thing to check with the local building department before they decide to inspect and charge you.

And, of course, do not hang curtains on the window behind the stove or cooktp.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 16:48

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 1:58AM
Barbarav

JW, thanks for those links to previous threads, some of which were from 2008. And here I thought I was coming up with something new lol!

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 9:55AM
Fori is not pleased

Here it is. I was wrong--it's a real window. But I have to get points for random kitchen trivia, right?

If she's still around, she oughta know by now if it gets gunky!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg040731491646.html

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 10:31PM
Barbarav

fori, when I saw that the pics, I knew that I had seen them before- in one of the links that JWVideo sent me. And these are of the finished kitchen. Thanks a bunch. Beautiful ktchen. Not so worried about it anymore, tho I do ned to check about those codes. Great memory!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0122562722892.html

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 2:06AM
More Discussions
smallest microwave (width) ever ? Please advise
I'm looking for the smallest microwave in terms of...
Pippin
Need feedback on KOBE Range Hood
Hello! I'm looking at buying a KOBE range hood. The...
bblakeney
Problem with installing PHS920SFSS GE Slide-in induction range
Hi all, Has anyone installed the GE PHS920SFSS slide-in...
tsesung
36" induction cooktop with bridge
So far we've only found two 36" induction glass-top...
woodysapsucker
thermador vs electrolux/frigidare freezer
Help! To save money and get more usable space in a...
houztongirl
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Kitchen Executive Chef Self-Rimming Cast Iron 33 in. 4-Hole Double Bowl
Home Depot
Professional Aluminum 3-piece Ceramic Nonstick Cookware Set
Overstock.com
Built-In Countertop Induction Cooktop
Overstock.com
Monte Carlo Ceiling Fans Ornate Elite 52 in. English Pewter Mahogany Ceiling
Home Depot
Saxon Select Satin Natural White 52-Inch Ceiling Fan with Natural White Blades
$248.40 | Bellacor