Suggestions for a very nice, but not super $$$ white subway tile?

threeapplesJune 6, 2012

I've decided to do our children's bathroom (tub/shower combo) and their vanity area in a classic white subway tile, but have no idea where to begin as it seems everyone offers subway tile. I want the standard size, high quality, but not super expensive or super cheap. Please let me know your suggestions and why you recommend the tile you do. Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dvarnell

If you are just going simple and classic with no beveled edge, I'd just use American Olean. They carry it at Lowes as well as at tile shops. We looked at more expensive versions but they all look the same unless you want a bevel, crackle or hand made look. You can get a very nice bead to put at eye level to add some interest. If you want a really pretty accent, then you can go with Adex which is more expensive, but offers a wider range of wide accent tiles.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 4:03PM
juddgirl2

I just finished tiling our kids' bath using Interceramic ultra white subway tiles. They're a soft white - not a bluish white like some other tiles I looked at. They were around 21 cents per tile at Floor and Decor. I didn't like the standard white color offered at Lowes. They looked dingy next to the ultra white.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 5:58PM
albryant

We used American Olean Ice White. You can get it at local tile shops or special order from Lowes for $60 per box of 100 tiles (so $4.80/square foot). When you use the ice white you can order trim pieces in more styles than the stock gloss white they carry in the store.

Dal Tile also has a bright white that was slightly less expensive per square foot. We chose American olean because we were using their satinglo hex mosaic floor tile. We are happy with the quality and the installer had no complaints.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 12:05PM
lascatx

In most bathrooms and especially in a children's bathroom, I'd not hesitate to use Amerlican Olean or Daltile.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 3:12PM
golddust

We used the Olean from Lowes in our 4' x 8' walk in shower and it is stunning. Used the matching hex for the floor. We went with all white tile and trim. For interest, we built an arched doorway (no door). I love it and it was cheap compared to all other options.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Tile sizes and colors...help!
My husband and I are about to tear our hair out. We've...
alidanae
Bathtubs for taller people
I am renovating a family bathroom and would like to...
twingle
Bathroom
Walls are blue with red and royal blue towels white...
bobbyfly1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™