Beveled or unbeveled mirrors in this bathroom?

treasurethedayJune 5, 2013

I'm getting some help on paint colors in a thread in the Decorating Forum but I'm about to order our mirrors and would like some input.

These will be 36" x 24" elliptical oval mirrors that will be backlit by LED lights mounted around the wooden bases shown in this picture. Three frosted glass pendants will replace the bare bulbs.

I typically prefer beveled mirrors but I'm wondering if unbeveled is the way to go here. More clean/contemporary?

If you have any thoughts on paint colors, I'd love to hear them and have linked that thread below.

Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint color ideas welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrueter

Your bathroom is coming along wonderfully. I assume the mirrors are frameless. I think frameless they would look more "finished" if beveled IMHO. If you are using a frame, then maybe unbeveled, depending on the frame. Sorry I can't help with the colors - I would get some samples and try them out.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:30PM
treasuretheday

Thanks, jrueter. You're correct, the mirrors will be frameless, whether beveled or not..

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 5:54PM
busybee3

definitely- beveled will look best!!

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 3:17PM
kaysd

Beveled will look more finished.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 4:55PM
palimpsest

I had to think about this one before I answered for a while.

Because they are oval I am going to say "plain", and here is why:

I carried home a super cheap oval mirror from Home Depot because I knew I was selling and did not want to spend a lot of money on it. It's mass produced and has a wide bevel.

In our temporary rental the bathroom was updated with a cheap medicine cabinet and light fixture again from Home Depot. The mirror is oval, and it has a wide bevel. It's not that old and it's peeling.

So my direct experience and some other looking at real estate has been with a lot of oval mirrors that are beveled but obviously cheap.

If I was spending for custom mirrors I would not want them to look like I just got them at Home Depot.

So I vote plain.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 8:32PM
enduring

I think an unbeveled would look more modern. I am thinking beveled would be too traditional.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 9:06PM
lillo

I think like enduring that the beveled is more traditional . My opinion is that the oval shape by itself is more traditional , so adding to it the bevel will make it too traditional for this modern bathroom . If you didn't have the led light I would have suggested to you to frame them the same color as the vanity.
Your bathroom is progressing nicely , I like the slate on the wall a lot . Good luck with the paint color . I will leave it to the experts on the decorating forum to help you finding the right color.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 2:21AM
benlinus

Your bathroom is coming along wonderfully. I assume the mirrors are frameless. I just like your idea, i had Rak Mirror in my bathroom. this Rak Mirrors Range Infinity LED mirror in a stylish design on/off rocker switch

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 7:26AM
treasuretheday

Thanks, everyone, for all of your help. Since it was a "split decision" I decided to get out to the glass company to actually see their mirrors in person. They had a 36" x 24" beveled oval and it was gorgeous. Nearby was an unbeveled rectangular mirror and it looked, frankly, somewhat cheap. To be fair, it's possible that the oval shape might give a different impression but I decided not to take the chance and ordered our mirrors with a 1" bevel.

Palimpsest, your experience got me thinking about an oval mirror I bought at Home Goods when I was testing out sizes. It's smaller than the ones that we ordered and has a beveled edge. I dug it out to take a look at it just now. It looks really cheap also. Why? Well, I measured it as only 1/8" thick and the ones in the glass showroom are 1/4" thick which affords a nice deep bevel. I think that makes a big difference.

So, thanks again for the help!

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Advice on how high to hang mirror?
My BR remodel is in the finishing touches stage, I...
shappy22
? Factory sealed carrera tile- anyone??
I went to the tile store today and was planning on...
amspinn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™