How can I remove mildew from travertine?

debbie1000June 7, 2010

I used oxyclean for my porcelain shower tiles and it removes the mildew well. I do have some travertine trim around the niche and also on the shower bench and the oxyclean won't remove it.

I saw that I should not use vinegar. There are a couple sites that have their own product but I was looking for something that I could run out to Home Depot, etc and buy.

Or, if I was really careful, would bleach work? It is just a small amount of thin trim and I could really just use a Q-tip in bleach if that would work and would not dissolve the travertine. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Is the travertine sealed?

Is there any chance that the mildew or staining is "behind" the sealer, ie, "inside" the tile?

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 6:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbie1000

I don't know if it was ever sealed. We had it remodeled five years ago. We have terrible water, ventilation issues/very humid area and well, I have not been as vigilant as I should be in catching the mildew early.

I have seen threads about the staining coming from inside and even asked my husband today. He said everything was done properly behind the travertine.

The porcelain has cleaned up nicely. I just did everything today and was going to seal it tomorrow. I could seal just the porcelain and not the travertine while still trying to get the mildew off of it.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
My afterthought bathroom REVEAL
I was doing a major remodel on a guest bathroom and...
shappy22
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™