Antique brass

renov8rJune 18, 2013

For years I have been looking forward to replacing our shiny brass cupboard hardware. Now I am looking at the antique brass that seems to be popular, and I'm starting to like it. Also looking at the antique brass faucets. What do others think? Is it a fad for a year or two or something that will be a keeper for years to come. I'm torn - can't decide. Any opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex9179

I've always liked it and think it's classic.

Trends are fun, but they are designed to keep us buying things. My advice is to get what you like and ignore it when something else comes into vogue. Eventually, what you have will become the "new" finish, HA!

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

You can do what you like, and ignore whether it is trendy or not. Many large manufacturers have always kept a little shiny brass in their offerings, with some also offering some kind of matte brass-tone or light bronze-tone finishes as well.

The most common and least trend driven finish is chrome. Chrome replaced polished nickel in the early part of the 20th century.

The reason is that before good lacquers brass needed a lot of upkeep and nickel needs minimal upkeep and chrome needs virtually none. If you look at bath hardware where the lacquer has failed, the brass is almost black.

I don't know if you will get a lot of bang for your buck changing from bright brass to a softer brass finish--if you are starting to like brass, maybe you can keep what you have?

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
No door to bathroom
We are picking our interior doors out tomorrow. I like...
holcombe3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™