Tile just floor and around barth or 1/2 way up baths?

blondelleJune 19, 2013

I'm going to contract tomorrow and I'm going to renovate two small bathrooms in a rental unit. How do just painted walls hold up in a small bathroom. There's no vents, but they have windows in the shower and tubs, but the tenant might not open the windows. I thought I could save some money by just tiling the floors and shower and bath surrounds. Is that a foolish decision? Need some advice ASAP. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remodelfla

Lots of people do that blondelle. It would be wise to install a vent/fan though

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 3:12PM
ikea_gw

It will be good to have a vent/fan. Otherwise you will have condensation running down the painted wall when someone takes long hot showers. Probably won't do damage to the wall if it is prperly painted with the right kind of paint but it can look pretty bad in the long run. Plus you will have all sorts of mold and mildew constantly showing up in there.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:44PM
palimpsest

I think it makes sense to tile behind the toilet. The little square of wall right behind the tank seems to get kind of nasty when it's just drywall, and since you will be repainting fairly often you wouldn't have to paint all around the toilet, which requires getting down on the floor, not one of my favorite things to do. The new bathrooms in my houses are getting tile wainscoting.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
Opinions on Water Creation Vanities??
I am strongly considering the Water Creation 72"...
likewhatyoudo
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Shower glass strong enough to hold towel?
We will be getting semi-frameless glass shower walls....
risforremodel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™