Should you tile ceiling of tub/shower if using rainhead??

twingleJune 20, 2013

I will be using a rainhead mounted on the ceiling. I was wondering if I should tile the whole tub/shower enclosure including the ceiling??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TXBluebonnet11

If it's in your budget, I would. It will give the shower a finished look and protect the ceiling from water.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 2:48AM
nycbluedevil

I did not tile my ceiling in either of my bathrooms (master open shower and hall bath tub/shower also open). We have rain shower heads in both. The ceiling is fine and I like the continuity throughout the rooms.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 7:13AM
mongoct

A rainhead won't result in much upward splash in the ceiling, so tile isn't really needed for durability. A good quality bathroom-type of paint will suffice.

But sure, if you want to tile it all, then have at it. A fully tiled shower cube can give a more "complete look". And tile is certainly more durable than paint.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:30AM
OldTimeCarpenter1

Keep the ceiling-mounted shower head at least 6" from the ceiling, and you should not need any ceiling treatment other than a good bathroom paint intended for moist areas.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 2:06PM
twingle

Thanks I was alittle worried since the rainshower head was going to be mounted to the ceiling.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:00PM
Scodishman

What started as a re-wallpaper DIY has turned into a bath remodel..ugh! Had to cut out the 1/2"sheetrock above 1960s wall tile that extends off wall about inch....What should I go back with? I've got to replace above shower wall tile and shower ceiling, I want to tile above shower wall - but not necessarily tile the ceiling...PLEASE SEND SUGGESTIONS..

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Master Bath Remodel...Floorplan help!
Hello all, I am in the planning stages of a master...
fst96se
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Bathroom
Walls are blue with red and royal blue towels white...
bobbyfly1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™