W8 Zip (WinRAR, WinZip, 7-Win....)

jerry_njJanuary 11, 2014

For the first time on my Windows 8 machine I have a need to Unzip a file - the file came as a WinRAR file and I am told that all I have to do to read is "unzip".

I can not find Winzip on W8, perhaps Microsoft decided they prefer we buy or find free rather than include (like missing games W9 wants us to buy not get as part of the OS).

Okay, I downloaded WinZip and operated on the RAR file. This produced three files: one picture and two text. When I click on the Pic file I get pictures..so far so good. But the text files which are designated ".doc" and I can not open them Now this may be because I don't have MS Office on this machine, rather I have OpenOffice which can handle ".doc" just fine.

Question:
1) Is "RAR" just the latest name for ZIP just treat it as such
2) Could W8 (using browser Firefox) reject the ".doc" because it defaults to Office - without the dialog to pick an application?
3) I welcome a pointer to a location with information, I didn't find anything here that looked promising.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DA_Mccoy

As stated on the link below, RAR is the native format of WinRAR archiver.

For .zip files on W8, right click on the target file. On the appearing menu will be a 7 .zip entry with an expanding tree.

How are you trying to open the .doc files with OO? Clicking directly on the file? Opening OO, and then opening the file through the application?

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: WinRar

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 11:09AM
jerry_nj

DA,
Thanks I thought MS had decided to sotp include "zip" tool.

I left clicked on the RAR file and it opened as hidden files the identified pic and two doc files. I double clicked on the files, and as said the pics opened but the doc didn't. I say the files are hidden because it appears the RAR file was unzipped and the first time I left clicked on it and the three files were created, but their location is unknown to me. One of my additional ignorance items is I don't know how to find the path to a file when I find it with W9 Search (RH margin tool collection).

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 3:26PM
zep516

but their location is unknown to me.

Right click the file and choose properties, look down for location.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 3:50PM
Richard (chuggerguy)

I believe what happened is that you opened the archive(.rar) and simply got a peek inside the archive. Double-clicking the pic caused it to be extracted to a "temp" directory where it was subsequently opened by your image viewer. It wasn't really hidden, just not "really" extracted.

To extract the contents of the entire archive, you can right-click the unopened archive and select "Extract here". Or if you just need a file or two out of the archive, you can open the archive, select the desired file, and extract it. Myself, I would do that by dragging the file out onto my desktop.

I'm going by memory, which may not be accurate. Also, I'm thinking of how I would do it with WinRAR. If you're using 7-zip or something built into Win8, then I don't really know. I suspect it would work similarly?

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 4:13PM
acraftylady

I have always used the free version of WinRAR to open rar files and never had trouble. I always wondered if I could use something else but never tried. Mary

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
Tosh
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
Outlook problem bugging me
From my email program outlook 2013 I keep getting a...
big_al_41
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
OK, turned my back, and the kids are playing with
backgrounds, and making the viewing easier on the eyes....
shaddy101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™