coordinating tile and countertop

car57June 18, 2013

Hi. I'm remodeling my master bath, and I'm having trouble choosing floor/shower tile that coordinates with the countertops. I will probably use quartz for the counters. Cabinets are white. I like the look of travertine, but will be using rectified porcelain tile. I want it to be light and bright, but not necessarily white. How do I figure out which countertop color goes with which tile? I have nightmares about choosing expensive materials that fight each other! I know about undertones, but I'm having trouble seeing them in tile and quartz. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lotteryticket

Hi Car57,
I am also in the process of remodeling my master bath. I have found tile stores to be extremely helpful even when they know you're not ready to buy. Go in with a budget in mind and bring any samples you have (paint, wall paper, floor plan and elevations). It can be helpful to bring paint chips of the colors you would like to have somewhere in the room. Most showroooms will pull out a good assortment of things to look at and then leave you to browse. But the ones I have been in have been reluctant to disclose the manufacturer so you won't try to shop for a better price online. It can be overwhelming but you can usually take home some samples and see what they look like in the room. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

We too were overwhelmed at first, and even brought home a couple samples of porcelain tile that looked like travertine. But we kept going to tile shops (about 4 or 5 I think) before one mosaic grabbed my attention. After that we brought that sample everywhere we shopped to see who had other tiles that would go with it. All our tile in our new bathroom didn't come from the same store. And be sure to get a large enough sample of the quartz, not just those little 2" pieces.

-Babka

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Suggestions - Eliminating Jack and Jill Bath in New Construction
Looking for suggestions on eliminating a Jack and Jill...
burbmomoftwo
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Advice on how high to hang mirror?
My BR remodel is in the finishing touches stage, I...
shappy22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™