Can,t connect to wireless

iggieJanuary 29, 2014

I have an HP laptop using windows Vista the home version whenever I try to use wireless connection to my Netgear router I cannot connect. Know the router is ok because wife,s laptop connects with no problem. When I try get a message saying the wireless setup wizard cannot locate a network. When I use the trouble shooting feature provided, get the message saying windows cannot fix problem and that the wireless windows capability is not active on this computer. I have tried system restore no help. reinstalled the program using a start up disc still get the same thing. Also the wireless on indicator lights. Can anyone help me? Any help or info will be greatly appreciated. Iggie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azinoh

Do you have other active wireless networks nearby? If yes, one or more may be strong enough to interfere with yours especially if you are on the same channel. Which channel are you using? Don't know? Then you are probably on the default (6). You should power-cycle the router and experiment with another channel and see if the situation improves.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 6:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX

Did the wireless switch get turned off accidentally? That's the easiest fix.
I had to Google for the information on starting wireless in Vista since I have very little hands on with Vista. You need to start wireless service.
Open Control Panel, change view to icons.
Open Administrative Tools and double click on services.
Find the one labelled Wired AutoConfig and double click it. If properties show as anything other than automatic, change to automatic. Stop and start the service using the buttons on that dialog box. Click OK.
Repeat these steps with WLAN AutoConfig.
Close the windows and attempt to connect to the network again.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
System Restore on new windows 7 need password?
I just bought an Acer windows 7 tower and when I wanted...
urlee
Internet Explorer keeps shutting down
I have just ignored this problem for the past 3 months...
Lea Grabb
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™