Cararra Marble look alike in subway?

jillinnjJune 26, 2012

I'm trying to find a porcelain tile that is a carrara marble look alike in subway size. Unfortunately, it seems the American Olean version that people liked has been discontinued.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Is it worth buying square tiles and cutting them? Seems like a lot of work!

I would go with just plain white subway (this is for shower area), but DH doesn't like that look.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nikinikinine

So are you doing Carrara elsewhere in your bathroom, but looking for a knockoff subway tile for your bathroom?

If that is the case you'll never match the look, so I say tell your husband to chill and run a white subway with a pale gray grout.

If you're not running real Carrara elsewhere in the room, then there are a lot of porcelains that "look like" Carrara. I didn't really think any of them were that great in person. At least none that I've seen, but I was holding it up against the real deal when comparing.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 9:05AM
jillinnj

No Carrara in other areas right now. Not worried about matching the real thing.

Cannot tell hubby to chill. He doesn't like the look. It is his house too. We wouldn't do a look that I don't like. Won't do a look he doesn't like. I do keep showing him pics hoping he will change his mind but no luck so far.

I've seen big tiles that look nice. Just can't find subway. Considering doing large squares or cutting them ourselves.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 12:26PM
nikinikinine

Well if you're not trying to match it then you won't mind the fact that it doesn't look authentic. Although if he doesn't like the look of real marble I'm not sure why the look of knock-off marble works?

At our tile store we saw tile called Bianco Carrara it is a porcelain. Another is called Virginia and it comes in 3x8 not 3x6, but again is a porcelain. There was also calacatta porcelain tile. The also have a city collection of made to look like marble tiles.

The tile store is Best Tile (www.besttile.com) the link for their centers and phone numbers is below. Perhaps they can give you more info on the tiles we saw in person if one of these stores is not in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Tile Store Locator

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 1:09PM
jillinnj

Thank you. I will check out that link.

I think I wasn't clear. He likes marble subway. He doesn't like plain white subway tile. He grew up in New York City and it reminds him of, well, the subway. Says he doesn't want his shower to look like the subway.

I don't want to use real marble even though I love the look. I don't want the maintenance issues.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 6:39PM
nikinikinine

Oh! Hahah yeah I totally misunderstood. My apologies!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 9:31PM
jillinnj

No worries. There is a Best Tile store close to me. I will try to check it out this weekend or next week. Thank you for the help! I so appreciate it.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Which latricrete products for full shower build?
I'm a bit confused about all the various Latricrete...
cataan
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Sponsored Products
Affinity Headboard
Grandin Road
Colonial Mills Jackson Braided Rug - Oatmeal Multicolor - JK90R024X036
$22.98 | Hayneedle
Carlton Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Bruck | Laguna Bouquet Pendant Light
YLighting
Ball Basket Five Arms Chandelier by Hubbardton Forge
$630.00 | Lumens