Advice on Bathroom Tile - Porcelain Subway, Carrara Marble mix
My husband and I are in the process of building our dream house. I have lurked here for some time and am so thankful for all I have learned from reading the posts here. I am now seeking specific advice to a design dilemma.
I am stuck on one of the upstairs bathrooms. It will be used primarily for our older teenage child (who is a typical teen boy, somewhat careless), and then as a guest bathroom when he leaves the nest. I want to go with a classic look, with a vintage feel. The house was built in 1974, and my design style is traditional.
Here is what I'm considering for this bathroom:
1. White porcelain subway (3 x 9) tile (my preference) or square tiles (4x4) for the shower walls (above bathtub). It would be bordered at the end of the shower on each side by a black marble or granite pencil thin tile and a carrara marble bullnose (squares or rectangles, not sure) on the outside. I was using the porcelain in the shower for the durability factor.
2. White porcelain 1" hexagon floor tiles, with a pencil thin black granite or marble border and a square carrara marble border on the outside.
3. Antique Old Chicago brick applied to the wall behind the vanity (which is recessed). It would go all the way to the ceiling.
4. Carrara 3 x 6 subway tiles halfway up the wall with a chair rail on the remaining bathroom walls.
My concerns are:
1. Are there too many tile variations here? They are subdued in color (with the exception of the brick), so I think it may have a good look, but I am nervous.
2. Should I use two different sizes of subway tiles (3 x 9 for porcelain) and (3 x 6 carrara)? Would that be weird? I could go with the 3 x 6 in the porcelain. But then would it look strange to have two different types of tiles in the same size? I prefer not to go with the squares because I'm worried about it being too plain, but it is still an option.
3. Will it look strange where the full wall of porcelain tile in the shower butts up to the half wall of carrara tile?
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am endlessly stuck on making a decision. I am also debating on whether to go with polished or honed carrara. Any comments or ideas?