Space for front tub panel

ShugrGrlJune 14, 2013

I'm planning my bathroom remodel and only have a 30" width for my tub space. It is a 3 wall alcove, so I was hoping to find a tub with a nice looking apron front, but the only ones I find that I like are 32" wide. Can anyone tell me, if I bought a 30" wide tub like the one on the below left, how much extra space would I need to have my contractor add a panel to the front that looked like the picture on the right? Would I still end up at 32"? Or is it possible to make the panel flush with the tub edge?
I'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but as you can tell I'm pretty clueless about this kind of stuff. So any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

It's impossible to give a definitive answer without having a schematic of the tub.

The info I'll pass along right off the bat is that the tub in the photo is an undermount tub. With that tub, you can make the front wall apron as "thick" as you want for your desired apron design and simply have the tub deck deep enough to overhang the front apron as needed.

It's a case where the answer is within the details of the tub and an space itself. I'd recommend getting in touch with your contractor as he'll be aware of the specifics of both.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 4:17PM
lillo

One more thing to consider , you don't want your tub edge to flush with the wood panel , or your wood will get ruined from dripping water on it in no time . This is the first thing one of the contractors told me , to have an overhang of 1.5" on the outer side of the tub deck for that purpose .

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 5:07PM
lee676

> The info I'll pass along right off the bat is that the tub in the photo is an undermount tub.

The tub in the right photo is an undermount; the left photo shows an alcove tub with a lip designed to be covered with tile or other wall material on 3 sides, and either a (usually optional) apron or a custom panel in front.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 6:17PM
mongoct

lee676, That's what I was pointing out. That the one in the photo is an undermount. And the one that's been chosen is not.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Kohler Elevance Tub - for disabled - gorgeous
Pretty new product from Kohler. anyone who is looking...
elphaba_gw
recommend sink for combo powder/bath
am planning combo laundry/half bath. side by side washer...
elleninmaine
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Sponsored Products
Dimond Solihul Antique Gold Tree Trunk Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Kichler Crystal Persuasion Crystal Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
Blue & White Ceramic Vases - Set of 5
$139.99 | Dot & Bo
BDI | Crease Pedestal Console Table 1549
YLiving.com
Area Rug: Cibolo Putty 3' x 5'
$82.97 | Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: United Weavers Rugs Etienne Beige 7 ft.
Home Depot
Ring Lounge Chair in White
$799.00 | LexMod
Abandoned Farm House Wrapped Canvas
$99.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™