Light gray grout recommendations

LinelleJune 4, 2014

I want a very light gray grout for my Arctic White tub/shower surround. Ideally no blue or tan cast. Just gray. I don't want a mass of white, but I don't want grout lines to be super-prominent.

My tile guys do NOT custom mix so that's not an option.

Two choices seem possibilities:

Laticrete Silver Shadow
Polyblend Platinum

What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ineffablespace

I picked the first and substituted the second because of availability at my vendor, I think they both have a slightly bluish cast: I was selecting for blue tile and wanted a grey white that didn't go yellow next to the blue.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:16PM
Oaktown

Ha, I was just looking at grout earlier today. Silver Shadow is nice.

(We are using Laticrete Bright White on our Gloss White Daltile and Antique White on our White Daltile.)

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:21PM
Linelle

Thanks guys. I actually think I have Platinum for my kitchen backsplash which is a creamy white. It does have a slightly blue/mauve cast to it. In fact, it's always been slightly irritating to me, but not something I focus on unduly.

Hmmm, now I'm thinking maybe Laticrete Smoke Gray might be less blue. It's slightly darker, but a warmer gray. My floor tile loves all the grout colors.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 5:00PM
Oaktown

I like Laticrete Smoke Gray, it will be on our shower floors (tile is a warm white). I think it has a touch of brown. Should be grouted this week, if you are not in a hurry I can try to take photos for you.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:54PM
Linelle

Oaktown, I need to choose by tomorrow. They left their sample kits with me. Having said the Platinum irritates me in the kitchen, I think I was exaggerating a bit. I sometimes pick up a whiff of mauve but I think it's a little more accentuated next to the creamy (i.e., a little yellow-y) tile.

Finally the tile guy is gone for the day. It doesn't matter how the grout looks in the kitchen, since it's going in the bathroom! I do see a little blue in the Silver Shadow. Coming down the homestretch, Smoke Gray is in the lead.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 7:18PM
Oaktown

linelle, just curious, what did you end up using? Ours goes in tomorrow . . .

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 7:57PM
Linelle

Oh jeez, Oaktown, talk about vacillating.

I'm going with Smoke Gray too. I *really* wanted the lightness of Silver Shadow, but I could not unsee the blue cast. I was afraid someone would say, "So, blue grout?" Smoke Gray is a tad darker than I wanted, but it's a warm gray. Mine goes in tomorrow too. Here's looking at you, kid.

The floor was easy. Since it's a melange of many grays, all the gray grouts look good with it. I'm using Delorean Gray. Hopefully the floor tile goes in tomorrow.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 1:23AM
Linelle

Oaktown, mine's done. How did yours turn out?

I knew I'd freak a bit when it went in wet and dark. The guy is right now cleaning up and I'm anxious to see how it looks when it dries.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 2:32PM
Linelle

For all the indecision, I'm happy with how the grout turned out. Zephyr approves.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 12:41AM
leela4

linelle-that looks great!! Please do a full reveal when you're completely done.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:46AM
Oaktown

Wow linelle, hope mine turns out as nice! Will probably go by this afternoon to check. Is Zephyr a tuxedo? We used to have one, she was the sweetest thing.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 1:34PM
Linelle

Oaktown, so this is a new build for you? I am so happy to have no workers in my house for a few days, even the affable Miguel. On the other hand, I'm glad I was around to answer little questions like, here or there? this way or that? etc. I try to stay out of their way and not interfere or hover, but I would rather err on the side of being too involved rather than, OMG why didn't you tell me you were going to do that?!!!

The agony of picking a grout color. This one's fine, no blue.

Zephyr (spot on nose) and his twin sister Bessie are kinda tuxedos. I think they're more like Holstein cattle.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 2:00PM
mdln

Linelle - Your tile & grout look GREAT (now I wish I did subway in my bathroom), and your kitties are SO cute! Holsteins, very funny.

My tile guy also would not mix grout, to get the color I wanted... I don't get it. If I ever tile myself, I am mixing grout - just because I can! :-)

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 11:41PM
Linelle

mdln, my original plan was to do 4x4 tiles in a plain stacked pattern in light gray, the SAME tile I was taking out. My BD thought I was nuts. I finally found the original tile but there wasn't any trim available. I swore I wasn't going to do subways, but oh well. Call it overdone and a trend that has peaked, nobody I know has a subway tile anywhere in their house.

When I asked my tile guy's supervisor about mixing grout colors, it sounded like it was simply company policy. He was nice about it and I didn't push it. I'm sure it's fraught with problems if the homeowner doesn't like the mix, since you don't get a little plastic stick to look at and you can't tell from wet grout what it will ultimately look like. I'm like you, if I ever tile myself (and that would be the day), I would mix and do sample boards. For now, I'm fine with the good job my guy did. I even got a thumbs up over at John Bridge.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 9:22AM
jerzeegirl

I love the Holsteins.

The grout looks great too!

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Textured tile on the floor of shower for safety?
I read this suggestion somewhere, has anyone used this...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
encaustic tile install?
I've fallen in love with these tiles but am completely...
daisychain01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™