Decorating for a "holiday" party

jennOctober 12, 2012

We will be hosting a casual 'holiday' potluck dinner for about 40-50 friends on an evening in early December. This annual party is usually held at a local city center which is unavailable to us this year so I offered to have it at our home. We call it our 'holiday' party because we have several Jewish members who do not celebrate Christmas, and it's just our annual get-together during the holiday season.

We won't need to put up a tree or any other Christmas decorations, but we usually don't do that anyway until about a week later.

However, I want to set a 'holiday' mood. I'm thinking of using strings of white lights here and there, a few red Poinsettia plants, and a pot of hot cider to scent the house. Does that scream 'Christmas', and does anyone have any other ideas?

The party will flow outside to the patio if there's no rain.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeannespines

Maybe you would like to decorate some 'stacked plates' for your party ...they could be very 'Wintery' @that time of the yr...here's a few shared in our Inspiration Album created by Purplemoon on our forum. There's other Holiday albums there, too. Sounds like a fun time! Poinsettia & white lights would be beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stacked Plate Decor Holiday Inspiration Album

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 7:24PM
jenn

Those are beautiful! I've never heard of 'stacked plates' and can think of a billion ways to decorate them. How are they secured to each other? It looks like they'd topple over at the lightest touch.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 8:28PM
jeannespines

jenn... some stacked plates are bought that way ... they have a center stem that runs thru the plates & bolted at the bottom.

But lots of these in the pics are made like 'glass totems'...the Holiday-ers use 'GE Silicone II for Doors & Windows' to 'glue' them tog (+ other glues) but that's the one I've tried & it worked good. Jeanne S.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 8:52PM
party_music50

It sounds like fun! and if you can go out to the patio in December you're not in upstate NY. lol!

The white lights, poinsettias, and hot cider sound great! I immediately thought of using fruit for decoration... either bowls of fruit or a large pyramid of oranges, apples, lemons, pears, nuts, etc. Something like seen here . I would also try to use things found in nature -- like pine bows, pinecones, and twigs. CANDLES would be great... perhaps use nature's objects to create centerpieces with fat white/cream pillar candles. Try to think about it from a winter solstice perspective. It's all about the earth and sun. :)

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:20AM
party_music50

Another simple decorating idea would be to use mirrors laid out on a table w/ lit pillar candles on them -- grouped for maximum light effect.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:28AM
jenn

jeannespines: Oh yes, I know about stacked plates with the center stem - I have one of those. I've never heard of the variety shown in the pictures, and I would think that clear silicone museum gel would secure those.

party_music50: You're correct; we are in downstate CA, LOL. But it's a myth that all parts of SoCal are mild; we are about an hour from winter resorts with much colder winter temps. I love your suggestions for pinecones, pine bows and other items from nature. WRT the mirrors on the table, there may not be room on the table for anything but food since it will be potluck and there's usually enough food for 3-4 tables.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 11:25AM
phonegirl

Jenn, with your ideas and all the previous suggestions I'm sure you will have a beautiful party. I also love using snowflakes and faux snow in addtion to the above ideas from Nov.-Jan. to brighten things up. We already have snow on the mountains here and they are beautiful again.

Punk

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 11:29AM
jenn

Thank you, phonegirl, I like that idea as well.

Snow already?!? Actually a little snow fell in SoCal on Thursday during our rainy spell... not where we are but at higher elevations we can't see from home.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Decorating Son's House
First of the photos
yachter123
test
A test link to a photo
nana2010_gw
from Purplemoon
I still haven't gotten Houzz to accept my old name,...
Purplemoon
Valentine Decor
It was a little crazy decorating this year for Valentine's...
phonegirl
test 2
Caroline's table
nana2010_gw
Sponsored Products
WS Bath Collections Ceramica LVQ 120 Above Counter Bathroom Sink - LVQ 120
$378.00 | Hayneedle
LBL Lighting | Zollo Low Voltage Pendant Light
$280.00 | YLighting
Thompson Indoor Rug - 2' x 3'
Grandin Road
Pine Peak Plaid Heavyweight Essentials Dish Towel - Set of Three
$10.99 | zulily
New Tribal Hand Knotted Oushak 4'x6' Veg Dyed Ivory Turkish Wool Area Rug H3583
BH Sun Inc
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Genie Ivory 3 ft. 6 in. x 5 ft.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™