using hydroban, does ansi wa % matter?

kirkhallJune 25, 2012

Hi all,

I found this site when searching the differences between porcelain and ceramic. (see link below).

It describes the ratings on tile and their appropriate usage. I am specifically wondering about the Water Absorption value and its relevance for fully tiled shower that is hydrobanned...

It seems like the daltile at the orange box is a popular tile to use as a cost-effective nice looking tile. But, I see that it lists only a semi-vitreous (3-7% absorption) online (haven't actually looked at the box in the store to see if it perhaps incorrect online). And, according to the link provided, that would suggest that it wouldn't be a good or best choice for use in a shower---better reserved for areas that would see only occasional water like a kitchen floor or backsplash.

So, if using hydroban, does it matter so much what type of tile you use? (absorption-wise?)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/PDF/porcelain.or.ceramic.pdf

(it won't let me post it in the link thing, for some reason)

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 1:24PM
writersblock

I don't know about the Daltile, but there have been complaints here about some of the Merola tile and others sold by HD getting water under the surface and molding, so yeah, I would think it's a bad idea even with hydroban, since that may keep the wall dry, but can't do anything about water within a tile.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 2:29PM
bill_vincent

It doesn't matter, anyway. yes, porcelain has almost zero absorbsion. But whether or not you Hydrioban the shower, it's not a big deal the amount of water that conventional ceramic tile will absorb, because it'll just evaporate back out again, anyway. If you get a tile where water gets in under the glaze and discolors the tile-- especially if it won't dry back out again-- it's defective.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
Experience with Enduroshield
Anybody have specific experience or feedback on the...
gardnr
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
Very Cool - New Porcelanosa Luxury Vinyl Tiles
I would love this for my walls too! And the website...
numbersjunkie
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™