using hydroban, does ansi wa % matter?

kirkhallJune 25, 2012

Hi all,

I found this site when searching the differences between porcelain and ceramic. (see link below).

It describes the ratings on tile and their appropriate usage. I am specifically wondering about the Water Absorption value and its relevance for fully tiled shower that is hydrobanned...

It seems like the daltile at the orange box is a popular tile to use as a cost-effective nice looking tile. But, I see that it lists only a semi-vitreous (3-7% absorption) online (haven't actually looked at the box in the store to see if it perhaps incorrect online). And, according to the link provided, that would suggest that it wouldn't be a good or best choice for use in a shower---better reserved for areas that would see only occasional water like a kitchen floor or backsplash.

So, if using hydroban, does it matter so much what type of tile you use? (absorption-wise?)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/PDF/porcelain.or.ceramic.pdf

(it won't let me post it in the link thing, for some reason)

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 1:24PM
writersblock

I don't know about the Daltile, but there have been complaints here about some of the Merola tile and others sold by HD getting water under the surface and molding, so yeah, I would think it's a bad idea even with hydroban, since that may keep the wall dry, but can't do anything about water within a tile.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 2:29PM
bill_vincent

It doesn't matter, anyway. yes, porcelain has almost zero absorbsion. But whether or not you Hydrioban the shower, it's not a big deal the amount of water that conventional ceramic tile will absorb, because it'll just evaporate back out again, anyway. If you get a tile where water gets in under the glaze and discolors the tile-- especially if it won't dry back out again-- it's defective.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
recommend sink for combo powder/bath
am planning combo laundry/half bath. side by side washer...
elleninmaine
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Sponsored Products
Madison Park Manchester 7-Piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Pots & Pans Lids by Alessi
$54.00 | Lumens
Grohe Wall Union - Oil Rubbed Bronze
Modern Bathroom
DS KIT 02 - Table Lamp Kit - Blue - Dino Sanchez
$75.00 | HORNE
Elk Lighting Barcelona Ornate Mantel Clock - 91-1548
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Wire Glass Matte Black 11-Light Flat Rim Square 8-Up and 3-Downlight Bridge Chan
Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™