Crown molding bumping to window trim. What to do?

skubaJune 14, 2013

Hi, we are putting crown molding on the new bathroom, but just noticed our window is quite high. How to solve for the area where the crown bumps into the window trim?

Cut a slit of the crown and put over window? Will it work in terms of looks?

See picture. (BTW this is the old bathroom)

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

You could change out all the window trim to flat trim and then run the crown moulding over the flat trim, bumping it out around the top of the window.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:06PM
TSG1104

How large is your crown going to be? Will it be much larger than the trim around the top of the window? If possible, I'd try to incorporate it so it blends into the crown. Like the third and last picture at this link: http://ttecustomhomes.com/portfolio-2/ceilings/

If there isn't enough room to do that, then you might just have to end the crown on either side of the window. I think it's called a return.

If you are hanging window treatments, you might also build out a valance over the window that integrates with the crown. I couldn't find a link directly to a picture, but on this page there is one about half way down on the right. http://www.traditionalproductreports.com/woodwork-historic.html

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:20PM
skuba

I haven't picked yet cause I was waiting for the feedback. But I was thinking 3 1/4 or 4 1/4 and not too elaborate in terms of ridges and steps. GC said he could cut a slit and go over the window trim. I am just not sure if it would look good. Or maybe better completely replace window trim to a more basic one. Or a thinner one so there is space for crown above it. But the window is pretty high.

Thanks

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™