Wolf induction clearance

a2geminiMay 4, 2012

Cross posted to kitchens - probably should have posted here instead

Our new induction was intalled and it is gorgeous - the bad news, the special drawer that the KD had built doesn't meet the Wolf specs of 6.25 inches from the countertop to combustible.

Options - ignore and put ventilation into the back of the drawer

Put in a tilt out for a couple small items - not sure how functional but better than nothing.

Put in a wire bottom to the drawer instead of wood - has anyone tried this?

Any sources?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

what is the distance from the top of the counter to the bottom of the drawer? looks fairly large from the picture.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:12PM
mojavean

Maybe you can have them cut you a piece of granite or other stone, mount it on the rail's and have a pull-out prep station or pot rest?

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 10:51AM
mojavean

I should've explained, if there's a drawer there, even if it's flameproof, what's to prevent people from putting flammable objects in it?

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:12AM
ILoveRed

Forget about having a drawer there and put a fake drawer front to cover the space.

Am I misunderstanding the problem?

btw, your cabinets are lovely.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 12:38PM
tjeff2000

red lover
That's what I was thinking or are you talking about the distance to the backspash?
If it's the draw underneath, I've only seen the cooktops with a fake draw front as the top draw and 2 working draws underneath.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 1:42PM
weedmeister

I still don't see what the problem is. The 'hole' or space in the cabinet pictured here cannot contain a drawer because the unit itself is in the way. But I ask again, what is the distance from the top of the counter to the top of the drawer that is already in place? It looks like 6" to me but I don't have any sense of scale from the picture.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 2:54PM
mojavean

Looking at drawings of the unit, it appears to be about 4 inches deep or a little less. This would allow for a shallow drawer mounted on the rails you see in the photo. But even though there is enough clearance for the drawer to operate, it would not provide the 6-1/4" clearance necessary to meet Wolf's specs. Wolf-SZ also specifies that at least a 1" gap exist between the unit itself and any shelving placed below it. This is to allow for proper cooling of the unit.

A drawer of any sort in that area is just not a good idea if it really does get hot down there. It's an induction unit so matches for flambe's and such could find their way into the thing, even if it were constructed out of flameproof components.

I have never used induction myself and have no idea how hot it gets underneath one of the things, but I darned sure wouldn't be installing anything that could potentially put paper or other flammables within that clearance zone.

But that's just me! :)

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Need advice on combining induction and gas
This is my first post. Please forgive the length or...
jdsb2
Masterchef options for Miele speed oven
I have played around with a Miele combi steam oven...
barbja99
Capital Range Customer Service
Mostly people write on the internet forums, such as...
willinak
Unnecessary drama with Miele dishwasher...
The salt/softener tank on my ten-year-old Miele Incognito...
howardgee
Counter depth refrigerators - who actually stocks them?
I need to replace my current counter depth refrigerator,...
yjacket86
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™