To Muntin, or not to Muntin, that is the question.

whallydenMay 21, 2012

The budget is tight and there may be an opportunity to upgrade from Marvin Integrity to a Marvin Ultimate or Andersen 400 if I can find some ways to trim our window order.

One thing I'm considering is dropping the SDLs from the windows on the rear elevation. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Elevation & Floorplan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

done that way all the time, no issues what so ever with that being done

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 12:49PM
rwiegand

Given your stated goal of architectural consistency and the importance of the muntin pattern to the overall look of the house I'd say definitely keep the muntins. You probably won't like the "blank stare" look of undivided windows given a general craftsman theme to the house.

In our window shopping it seemed like the jump from Andersen 400 or Integrity to Ultimate was many thousands of dollars, while the SDLs were a matter of hundreds for 30-some windows. (Andersen 400's and Integrity's were about the same price in our shopping, and the Integrity seemed like a much better performing, better built window)

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 1:51PM
whallyden

rwiegand -- Thank-you for supporting my gut decision -- We just pulled the trigger yesterday on Integrity with Muntins all around. Simplifying the pattern from prairie to a 2W1H, replacing a few DHs with fixed picture windows and replacing the Swinging French Doors with Sliding French Doors all helped to save enough to make it work within the budget.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
getting close to our move in day
Moving in about two weeks, got a lot of things to do...
joerallen
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
Spray Foam - Worth it?
I've been asked by several members of my family if...
Improv241
The movers are scheduled, now what to do?
We called our movers and they will be here on the 16th....
aimless07
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™