fixing fridge/freezer

carolssisMay 26, 2012

We have a GE side by side, 10 years old. Hubby investigated the reason for the freezer to freeze on bottom. Turns out it was the motherboard. He found one online, and after install, the compressor doesn't work. He re-installed the old motherboard and compressor works. Fans, lights, all other things worked with new board. I suggested we leave it plugged in longer to wait for the motherboard to "boot" and get the compressor to come on. We had it plugged in for only 10 minutes. Any ideas, suggestions will be very helpful, we can't afford another board right now, certainly not a new fridge. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mojavean

The control board runs the defrost cycle in addition to running the compressor. The compressor will not run if a defrost cycle is running. You need to confirm that the new board isn't trying to run a defrost routine. There is a heater/thermostat setup in the rear wall of the freezer. If the heater is heating up when you put in the new board, let the machine finish the defrost and then see if the compressor starts. If no compressor after confirming that there is no defrost going on (crank the controller down to lowest setting to force cooling on) then send the motherboard back and tell them to send you a good board.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 9:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

I replaced the mobo on my Arctica SxS year or so ago. I vaguely recall that it may run a defrost cycle upon power-on after the replacement.

There was also a bit of rewiring required for the (substitute) replacement board (instructions were included).

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
Oven size vs cabinet size
In my search for a new oven I noticed that all have...
dickross
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™